Help with car audio setup/amp guidance.

jlfenton95

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm new here, and this is my first post, so please go easy on me. I have found this site very useful in the past regarding various problems I've had, however I can't seem to find any answers to my current problem on here or Google. But if I have missed someone else's post that is the same subject, please reply a link for me to check it out. Oh, and thanks in advanced for your help.

Now...

I have just got a new old car in the last couple of weeks which I am very happy about. It's a '84 Volvo 240 Sedan. The stock speaker location is the front doors, and it takes 4" speakers. I have already bought and replaced the stock head unit with an Alpine CDE 147BT, and for the time being, replaced the speakers with some 4" home brand Kevlar speakers that are actually not that bad.

Anyway, my future plans are to buy some reasonably top notch speakers and an amp to go with them. Please keep in mind I will not modify this car at all, so the doors will have to stay 4". And I plan to make a box to house some larger speakers (to supply a bit more low end), namely 6.5" ones, which will sit on the parcel shelf. Right now I'm looking at JL C2-400x and C2-650x speakers to throw in the fridge. But I'm stuck on the amp side of things.

So my question... The 4" and 6.5" speakers RMS power is 35W and 60W respectivly. I'm worried about getting a 4 ch amp and blowing the smaller speakers because there is too much power which is required to drive the larger speakers. Does this mean I will have to get two 2 ch amps, one to supply smaller power to drive the 4" and the other to supply larger power to drive the 6.5"?

Any guidance greatly appreciated :)
Jeremy.

Cristi72

Admirable
Hello,

The best way (and cheapest) to enable decent quality audio: use the amplifier from the head unit to drive the front and the rear speakers, and add an active subwoofer. No 6.5" speaker will match the bass quality of a 12" or even a 10" subwoofer (except of course you have good skills in speakerbox design and manufacturing).