Is an i5 4460 worth it for gaming?

Evan Scanlon

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Hey guys, I'm building a PC, but idk if an i5 is worth it... I mean, I'd LOVE an i5, but my pretty low budget says otherwise. I already have RAM, Hard Drive, Case, Disk Drive and PSU, so can anyone find the best possible PC build (hopefully an Intel build) on this website---- www.custompc.ie

Sparktown

Honorable
Jan 28, 2015
The general consensus appears to be the i5-4460 is the current go-to chip for mainstream gaming. Although, some people also recommend the i5-4590, mostly because it is a small performance increase that can sometimes be found for only a few dollars more.

I would say the i5-4460 is a solid choice for gaming. The difference between the i5-4460 and higher priced i5s is normally only 1-2 FPS in games and that is after you already have more than enough FPS for most people. Someone showed me this data recently and it helped put things into prospective.

The only exception is if you want to overclock, in which case you should get the unlocked 4690k.

If your budget is low an i3 will be 'good enough', as you should be spending as much as you can on the graphics card really.

What's your budget?