Laptop turn's on with the AC adapter and the battery, when AC adapter removed, the laptop switches off.

Tomas Mac

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Like in a title.

Hi

I have recently bought a used Acer Aspire 5750 series laptop that had some problems with loading windows(it would switch off after or before loading windows, or not turn on at all). I have put it apart, cleaned everything inside out, re-pasted and changed the i3 CPU (exact same CPU), changed CMOS battery as it was flat put everything back together and everything was(is) working fine (tried switching the laptop on and off at least 15 times with no problems and now left it running for over 3 hours and is still fine. also checked the temperature when CPU maxed out and it remains at 65 degrees Celsius) until a new problem showed up (I didn't know of this problem before and to be honest didn't even check beforehand)

The laptop starts normally when AC adapter is plugged in along with the battery, it also works just fine on the AC adapter alone. The laptop doesn't turn on at all when on a battery alone and switches off as soon as the AC adapter removed.

I've tested 4 different batteries from Acer Aspire 5750 series (working laptops and batteries) but the outcome is the same.

The Laptop sees the battery, charges it, the LED lights orange when battery not fully charged and blue when fully charged.

I have reinstalled the battery in device manager but still no luck.

As the laptop works fine on AC adapter I don't see a "short" being a problem but I've run out of ideas of what it could be (and yes I have also read other threads but couldn't see the exact problem I have).

Any help from somebody more experienced or someone that had the same problem or simply knows how to fix it (if possible) would be very much appreciated. Guys I need your help

Regards,
Tom

It could be the connection between the battery and the laptop. Maybe for some reason, it is discharging too fast and as a result it switches off. Check that the connectors of the battery are not damaged. Other than that I can't really help you. It als could be the way the previous owner used the laptop. They could have fused the battery connectors.