DVI/HDMI No Signal on Monitor Issue

Alybad

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
In December, I built my first desktop. Since then, I've been plagued with a problem where my monitor doesn't recognize my DVI or HDMI cable input through my GPU when I turn my computer on. Recently I found that if I unplugged my mouse when turning on my computer, it would detect the DVI input and turn on properly, but this morning it stopped working. However, I managed to turn it on by switching around what port in my GPU my DVI cable was plugged into. I then tried restarting my computer to see if it would work and it didn't work again, I had to muck around with the cable. I really want to get this issue sorted.

My PC Specs
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz 4 Cores
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE
Monitor: ASUS VG278H
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz

Solution
If your motherboard has dvi as well, you can run the onboard display to rule out a bad cable. If it's good. Try a full powerful cycle on your monitor. Not just with the power button.

nismoguy82

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
If your motherboard has dvi as well, you can run the onboard display to rule out a bad cable. If it's good. Try a full powerful cycle on your monitor. Not just with the power button.

Solution

Alybad

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
to run through the onboard display would I need to take out my GPU?
also, by full powerful cycle, do you mean turning my monitor off and on again? because I've done that.

Alybad

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
It seems that doing the full cycle worked.
If it starts doing the weird thing again I'll post here, but all seems good for now :D
Thank you so much!

Alybad

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Ok, so it's happened again. Unplugging the mouse again has worked, but it seems really stupid that I have to do this. Should I just take it into the shop?

nismoguy82

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Do you have another dvi cable or mouse that you can switch with? One of them is probably bad and causing hardware conflicts. Also, you can unselect the solution here so your thread can remain open.