r9 290x crashing in-games.. *video included*

andeevans

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
this is the problem, does this for ~1min then BSOD.
this very video it crashed out of Max Payne 3
http://youtu.be/7dvJ61O_Spk

So I RMA'd this card with the seller on Monday by Wednesday they said it was fine and have shipped it back to me, technical support said it had passed an intensive benching without crashing. So if its not the GPU what else could it be, I ran MEMTEST for 5 hours last night passed with no errors so I know the RAM is ok. My psu is 1300w so definitely not a lack of juice.

Could a failing SSD cause this?

i7 2600k
hyperx blu ram 16gb
r9 290x windforce
120gb kingston hyperx ram
antec 1300w psu

Mysticking32

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014
Hey buddy. Go under windows event logs and tell me what error you're getting.

It sounds like you're getting display driver has stopped responding. You should uninstall and reinstall your video drivers. Download the newest drivers from the amd website, but make sure you uninstall the current ones.

Your ram is most likely fine.

The only other thing i can think of is the psu and maybe the error you're getting is kernel event power 41. That psu is an overkill for that gpu

andeevans

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

I know the PSU is overkill I had a XFX 750w Pro Series before but was having this problem, everyone kept blaming the psu saying it might be failing.... so I bought a beefer psu thinking the card needed more power but it continues to crash. I changed the mobo as well but it still continues to crash! OCUK said when they tested it, it didn't crash yet I bet as soon as I get it back it will... something is obviously dying in my computer... :(

Can a failing SSD or HHD drive be the problem?
From the video I've given, is that artifacting cause when I google artifacts my don't look like the pictures in the results.

yes, kernel event power 41 is coming up in windows event logs.
The gpu is in a shop 3 doors down as I was in work today when the courier dropped it so I gotta wait till tomorrow to get it back, I will pop it back in my system and record the whole thing from install to 'crash' and BOSD tomorrow.

Mysticking32

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014
I seriously doubt it could be a hdd or sdd problem. Do you have an alternate drive you could test? I'm trying to think of a way to test the ssd. Does it disappear sometimes? That would be a sign of it failing