IPS vs High End TN(BenQ XL series) Gaming/Web Design

zombieno7

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I'm in the process of transitioning into full stack web development. In my research, I've come across the IPS vs TN debate, and it seems like IPS is the way to go in most cases for design. I'm more of a coder than I designer, but I know I will be working with CSS design. I guess my question is; is my BenQ XL2420TE gaming monitor acceptable for what I'm trying to do, or do I need an IPS display. I should probably add that I do game and have noticed some benefit from the added refresh rate, so I'm not excited about the idea of getting a 60Mhz IPS display.

zombieno7

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Not game development, gaming and web development/design. I'm just concerned about the CSS/web design part. I have a BenQ XL2420TE. That Acer sounds good though. I'll definitely look out for that.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
i have two monitors at work, ones a PLS and the other some TN display from 4 years ago they had lying around. if your not picking out the colors on the TN display nor checking for color uniformity on it, your fine. also these days TN displays are not nearly as bad as they used to be. i would still recommend the IPS though, they are easier on the eyes for extended periods of usage, don't have the nasty off angle color shift (that is present with with out being off angle on larger displays) and are generally more color accurate.

if you want the best of both worlds, keep your current gaming monitor for gaming and code viewing and have a IPS around for color critical work. this will also give oyu the advantage of two displays, something i cant really live with out these days.

(there's also rumors of higher than 60Hz IPS panels coming out this year if your not in a rush)

zombieno7

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Ok. I like the idea of having one monitor for each. I usually use multiple monitors anyway. For now is a high quality TN dispaly acceptable until I get the ball rolling and am actually making money from web dev./design?

zombieno7

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Well I have a high end TN now. That's why I'm asking. I really don't want to spend anything if I don't have to. If I really do, though, I'd like to keep it under or around $400. Like I said before, I haven't started working as a web dev./designer yet.