Windows fails to start after graphics card driver install

nick2d2

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hi,

I've recently updated my PC with a new motherboard and RAM (hard drive and CPU the same). Everything worked after the rebuild, except my graphics card.

I downloaded the newest drivers available, but when I installed them, the system said they were installed successfully but with errors. After restarting, Windows would not start. System recovery tried and couldn't repair the system, and system restore, from a restore point before the driver install, failed with the error:

Could not delete the file at: D:\Windows\System32\CompatTel\CompliancePlugins\MediaCenterCompat.dll

With error code "0x80071a2d".

My question is, as I can access the system with Command Prompt, if I delete the file above, will this increase my chances of getting my system running? Or should I do something else?

Thanks for reading.

Windows 7 Home Premium
Asus M5A 78L-M Motherboard
2 x 4 GB Kingston HyperX
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750

You could try the "repair" option with the installation DVD. It works from thumbdrives as well (as long as it's bootable and you have the image loaded in it).

In particular, when changing the MoBo, it is highly recommended to re-install windows (clean install the best option) since drivers could get mixed up, even if you don't change the CPU. Unless you were 100% sure you uninstalled everything from the previous MoBo, you usually want to re-install.

And what about "safe boot"? You can uninstall pretty much all drivers in that mode and start from there to make it boot normally again.

Cheers!

nick2d2

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I tried renaming the file in question and it didn't work.

Thanks for your response @Yuka.

I tried the safe boot option but my system just started with a blank screen and the mouse cursor.

I will try the installation DVD, and if that doesn't work I'm going to buy a new hard drive and start from scratch. I don't have any important documents on my old hard drive, but if I get my system running again I should be able to get stuff off it.

Thanks again.