Replies to forum post disappear!

icecave

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
I posted a question on the Components forum and it was answered by one user. I replied to the user who answered by signing in and clicking the blue Reply to <username> link, typing my reply in the Your solution box and clicking Answer. The answer appeared below, above the user's reply. But as soon as I signed out, my post disappeared. I have tried this a couple more times, so now I see 3 identical replies from me when I am signed in, but still only my original post and the one user reply when I am signed out. Why do my replies not show?

I have tried this in multiple browsers, one with a fresh install and a new profile.

Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2558604/xps-8500-post-gtx-660-upgrade-power-supply-problem.html

If we can get this fixed, how do I delete the duplicate replies.

Solution
Oh dear. This really shouldn't be happening.

I believe that a 'shadowban' function had been requested, but it shouldn't be tested on production, and I see no bans against you.

I can see your posts, from both my normal account and a non-moderator one.

I've removed your extra posts, and also tried deleting and restoring the first one. Doesn't seem to have helped. Ignore any automated PMs/emails you get about that.

Can you try posting here?
Oh dear. This really shouldn't be happening.

I believe that a 'shadowban' function had been requested, but it shouldn't be tested on production, and I see no bans against you.

I can see your posts, from both my normal account and a non-moderator one.

I've removed your extra posts, and also tried deleting and restoring the first one. Doesn't seem to have helped. Ignore any automated PMs/emails you get about that.

Can you try posting here?

Solution

icecave

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
What is a "shadowban" function?

Can you see my posts when you are signed out?

Thanks for removing the extra posts. After I post this, I'll reply again if I can see my reply.

icecave

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Nope. Same problem. I can see my reply to you when I am signed in, but as soon as I sign out, my reply disappears and all I see is my first post of March 7 and your reply of March 8.

While signed in, I noticed that someone else replied to my post in the Components forum, so at least others are seeing the posts and I am getting replies. The bad part is I have to sign in to see them. I didn't get an email notification of that reply. I did for the first one. The email issue is not a big deal. I'm just mentioning it in case it's related.

How do we get this fixed?

A shadowban is a ban that doesn't give any indication to the person banned that they are banned, it just seems that no-one is taking any notice of their posts. Good for people who would otherwise make a whole bunch of new accounts and try to wreak havoc.

No, I can't see your posts when logged out.

I'm going to forward this to the admins; they might know something.

icecave

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

Thank you for your follow-up, Someone Somewhere.

In my last reply, I said that "While signed in, I noticed that someone else replied to my post in the Components forum, so at least others are seeing the posts and I am getting replies." Now that I have read the post, it seems like it's a reply to my "first" post, not my "second" one. When I sign out, I still only see my first post and the one reply from Moonstick2. I do not see the reply from Vic 40.

Same issue with this thread. I see my first post requesting help and your first reply beginning with "Oh dear." Nothing else.

I just wanted to add this information in case it helps troubleshoot the problem.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Take one weekend away from things and all the bubblegum holding things together begins to fail. I'd better get started chewing up some more.

On a serious note, this is a known issue that originated on some of our European sites and we were afraid that it would pop up here. Allow me to explain how this affects you, as a user:

• ■ New posts do not appear to visitors (or crawlers, for that matter).
    ■ Members who are logged in should not run into this issue

We're not sure what the cause of this is at the moment, but it's being treated as a high priority issue and we'll work that out as soon as we can. Sadly, I'm also unsure if/when those posts become visible to visitors again [strike]but I'm assuming that they do at some point[/strike] I was wrong and they do NOT become visible to visitors again. Once we fix the issue, however, we can flush the cache and everything will be updated nice and cleanly as if it had never happened.

icecave

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
The problem appears to be fixed in this Forum Feedback thread. I can see my original post for help and the ten replies whether I am signed in or signed out. I even tested in a different browser. Unfortunately, it's not fixed in the Components forum.

Will someone let me know when the complete fix is in place?

Will I lose the whole thread in the Components forum or just everything after my original post and Moonstick2's reply? If the latter, I assume I can then repost the "invisible" replies in the original thread. Please correct me if this is wrong.

icecave

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Spoke too soon. :(

Even though I can now see my original post and the ten replies here when NOT signed in, I can NOT see the 11th reply to Titillating that I just posted after I sign out. I tested in two different browsers.

So the problem is only partially fixed here.