How to set up dual monitor?

TroyThornton

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
I have recently come across a monitor (with a vga port). I was going to use dual monitors, however, my main monitor (also with a vga port) is plugged in through a dvi-vga adaptor (as my graphics card did not have a vga port). So I plugged in my second monitor into a vga port in the motherboard, but it won't connect to my computer. What can I do? I currently have a gtx 970 and a asus Z97-A

Solution
If that is the case, you could try enabling the integrated graphic card from BIOS. Some motherboards allow this to be done. On default, its disabled.

There are VGA/HDMI adapters and DVI/Displayport1.2 adapters too. You could use those.

jubatuss

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
To set up dual monitors, you need to connect both monitors to the same GPU. If I read correctly, you have 2 monitors where 1 is connected to your main GPU and the other is connected to integrated GPU. Your computer will boot using the main GPU if one is installed (GTX 970) and if you removed that, then it would boot with the integrated basic one. You can't use both at the same time.

Your GPU has 2x DVI and 1x HDMI (at least). If you have 2x VGA monitors, you need 2x VGA-DVI adaptors. Connect them to your main GPU. When you've done that, open Nvidia Control Panel, go to "Set up multiple displays" and you are good to go.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your GPU has 2x DVI and 1x HDMI (at least). If you have 2x VGA monitors, you need 2x VGA-DVI adaptors. Connect them to your main GPU. When you've done that, open Nvidia Control Panel, go to "Set up multiple displays" and you are good to go.

Don't think that's going to work as the second DVI port of the graphics card is a DVI-D (only digital) and won't easily convert to an analog signal.

-Wolf sends

jubatuss

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
If that is the case, you could try enabling the integrated graphic card from BIOS. Some motherboards allow this to be done. On default, its disabled.

There are VGA/HDMI adapters and DVI/Displayport1.2 adapters too. You could use those.

Solution