Connecting Cooler Master Pump(3-Pin) to CPU Fan or Sys Fan (4-Pin)

mxg284

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Hi all,

Dropped my mid-tower while transporting it and broke the mounts for my cpu fan. Decided to try out a Cooler Master 120M as a replacement.

I have been reading over and over again about the connection of the radiator fan as well as the pump. Some say connect the pump to the CPU Fan, others say to put it on the Sys Fan. Some even say to power it by the PSU.

The pump has a 3pin connector, the fan has a 4pin. My mobo has only CPU fan (4pin) and a 4pin Sys Fan.
Am I correct in the understanding that connecting the pump (3pin) to the 4pin Sys Fan would allow it to run at 100% since it is not connected to the PWM pin? This is good right?
And then I would connect the radiator fan to the CPU fan and allow it to be controlled by the mobo? Or should I go into BIOS and set the CPU fan to 100%?

Thanks for your help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You've nailed it. I have my Corsair H60 connected basically the same way. Pump 3 pin to a cha fan header (3 pin), fan 4 pin (PWM) to the CPU fan header. That type of pump needs to run at full speed at +12V all the time to avoid damage and to provide best cooling. If your rad fan is PWM, the CPU fan header will control it just like the fan on the stock CPU cooler.