Need advice regarding upgrading the ram on my sub-par PC

ClappYourHands

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
I currently own the Dell Inspiron 2330 All in One
I am not very familiar with computers and parts, but I am planning on buying a 4GB ram module to bring it up to 8 gigs of ram. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LDLV6S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

I have never worked with computers or this one very much as far as parts, so I have a few questions-

Will the ram module work with the PC?

Will I have problems with the PC if I just upgrade the ram? Like overheating, etc...

Will I need to purchase specific tools/parts to open the back of the PC? (it's an All-in-one)

Anything else I should know before I upgrade it?

Any general information/advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated!
The PC is used primarily for gaming, if that helps.
Thanks a ton!

EDIT: [strike]The chosen memory module at Amazon will not work with the Inspiron 2330 because it is the wrong type of memory (it is a SO-DIMM style module).[/strike] Information in the user manual is vague, and the specification sheet states "DDR3" memory, which suggests standard (UDIMM) memory. However, it seems the system uses SODIMM style memory instead, as the specification sheet does mention SO-DIMM sockets (which was missed initially).

Standard (non-ECC) DDR3 memory has to be used with this system.

Getting the one 4 GB DDR3 module to use with the existing module, may cause incompatibilities between the two modules due to differences in chip architecture and parameters.

To get maximum performance, suggested getting dual channel kit in 2 x 4 GB configuration instead to replace the existing module.

Some compatible memory is here.

There will not be any overheating problems, the system has been designed to accommodate two DDR3 modules.

Philips screwdriver and "plastic scribe" will be required to access internals of the computer. Refer to user manual for instructions.

If user manual not found, download it from here.

ClappYourHands

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

Hey thanks for the reply! So the best thing for me to do would be to buy 2 4GB modules and just replace the current one? (http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-4GBx2-DDR3-1600-CT2KIT51264BF160B/dp/B005LDLVAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426098090&sr=8-1&keywords=8GB+Kit+%284GBx2%29+DDR3+PC3-12800+Unbuffered+NON-ECC+1.35V)

Yes. Get a dual channel kit with 2 x 4 GB modules to replace the present 4 GB module. The existing module could be kept as a spare module, or sell it.

The memory linked at Amazon should work!

PS- Also, my apologies, it seems the system uses SODIMM modules and not standard (UDIMM) DDR3 modules after all; the user manual is not entirely clear on this point.

Go to www.crucial.com, do a search there for your computer model, they will show you what RAM is compatible with the system and it is guaranteed to work if you get that one.

You can keep your existing RAM and just getanother 4 gig, assuming you checked and the 4 gig is one stick and not two 2 gig sticks.

The Crucial website scanner can actually show you that also, how many memory slots you have and what is in them.