There's two external drives I'm looking into, but which one seems better?

kuroku

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hello, I've been looking into getting an external hard drive to store a lot of my stuff since my computer's getting full.

Newegg has these two external hard drives for sale at the same price:

Seagate 2TB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178474

Buffalo 2TB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165569

From what I understand, the buffalo has .99 cent shipping whereas seagate has free shipping and buffalo requires an outlet which isn't a problem for me.

I'm really not sure which one is the better deal here, so if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it, thank you!

Well based on my experience with Seagate externals I would steer well clear of those. I bought three and they all failed just after 12 months.

Now, Buffalo don't actually make hard drives, they buy them in from one of the drive manufacturer's and stick them in a Buffalo enclosure. My point being, you still might end up with a Seagate drive inside it. Whether the Buffalo enclosure makes it more reliable than a 100% Seagate unit I couldn't say.

One thing I can say, however, is that I bought three WD externals and they have been (and still are) utterly reliable after 5 years use.

I know I haven't touched on which is "the better deal", but surely reliability is more important? It is to me.

kuroku

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
No, it's fine! I really appreciate it! I have a Maxtor hard drive that holds 500-750(can't remember the number) gigs for a few years now and it's doing well, just I need a new one in case it fails. That and storage.

So buffalo is a hit and miss, then?

In terms of wd, the only experience I had with wd in general isn't the external drives, but a media player that you can hook your hard drives into and play on tv, and people tell me to steer clear of those, lol.

Sorry, my knowledge of hard drives isn't much, so I really appreciate the suggestion! What wd external drive do you recommend?

EDIT: Never mind!!! I just found a cheap new wd external drive on ebay for less than both of them and the same amout of storage, thank you Phillip!