AMD Saphire 7770 - Main monitor flickers, goes black, and then comes back

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Hi there,

So. I installed this used 7770 a friend gave to me. It's been working fine for a couple of weeks with quite a bit of gaming and no problem whatsoever. I have two monitors plugged in, a digital main one via HDMI and an old side VGA with an adaptor via DVI.

Today when I had wargame loaded up the main monitor (and only the main one) went black. It didn't go "off" or disconnect from the computer since when this happens a blue light turns yellow and a message box appears on screen staying the monitor is not connected. The light was still blue and the screen was completely black

Tabbing out of the game brought the image back. I went back in game, everything was good for like a minute, the screen flickered and went black again. Tabbing out solved it again... And this was repeated some 3 times.

I fired up Afterburner to monitor it and all seems fine. GPU usage was super low at some 15 or 20%, temp is low at 55C, framerate steady 120.

So I started browsing around trying to find an answer for problems related to wargame... and then the screen would flicker and go black on its own from time to time, even with wargame minimized. It would stay black for as little as a couple of seconds and then image would come back in.

The rest of the system is a Dell core 2 duo @3Ghz, 4Gb ram, running Win7 64, and a XFX 450W psu which should be more than enough. I double checked the cable connections, everything is fine.

Weirdly enough, after I've typed this it has stopped. Then I played some wargame again and no black screens at all. Any ideas as to what might have happened?

Thanks!

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks guys. I'll triple check these things.

I kept trying to monitor things. Nothing seems abnormal. The monitors worked 100% fine for a few days, but today I got a black screen again out of nowhere. Lasted some 2 or 3 seconds then back to normal. It was a different game today so it doesn't seem to be Wargame related at all.

I have an extra HDMI cable somewhere as well so I'll try swapping them just in case.

Thanks again.