Should I Sell My Consoles In Order To Build My Dream Machine?

Dtignor

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hey guys. I am in desperate need of a new PC. My current rig sports an AMD Phenom ii X4 965, HD 7770 GHZ 1 GB, and 4 GB of RAM. I think it is high-time I build the machine I have been dreaming about (not really, dreaming about PCs would be kinda weird). Anyhoo, I have a Wii U and a PS4. I was looking for money opportunities (I an umpire for Pee-Wee Baseball) as my job is a "contract" situation. Meaning, being an umpire, I can only get paid when I get games, which is often but still. To help with my build and so that I may have some money for the Steam Summer Sale and Game releases, I was thinking of selling my PS4 and Wii U. Together, by selling the consoles themselves with all of the games and accessories I have for each, I can make about $1050. I'm assuming from umpiring the entire season I can make somewhere around $2000. As you can see, I would, provided I sell the consoles, have plenty of money for the build and plenty left over until the season starts back again in the Fall time. What do you guys think? Should I sell them?

Part List: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dtignor/saved/sbxNnQ

P.S. I'm 15 so I'm kinda of limited with my money-making options.

P.P.S. Sorry for the long article. :p

Solution
I should put on my dad-mode hat here. But I won't
Just remember that in a couple of years, you will hopefully be off to college, and this $2000 toy will be long forgotten.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
take that 980 off and get 2 970 and if youre buying 2 of those aftermarket fans for the radiators, I suggest getting noctua fans. They run up to 3000rpm. Almost cut my finger off couple of times.

blurryy

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
I think it's time for an upgrade :)

As for a young age, that shouldn't matter. But one tip i'd give you is, build a PC that is going to make it future-proof for games etc. You can get a decent computer build for at least $700+.

USAFRet

Titan
I should put on my dad-mode hat here. But I won't
Just remember that in a couple of years, you will hopefully be off to college, and this $2000 toy will be long forgotten.

Solution

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

I agree. LOL.

Dtignor

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

I actually was thinking of college while creating this build list. I'm making it to where I can upgrade later down the road if needed so that I can bring this to college with me (hence the 1000W PSU and ATX mobo).

USAFRet

Titan

Better a new $700 machine now, and a new $700 PC or laptop later, rather than a $2000 machine now, and $500 new parts later.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
if youre aiming, to future proof this machine and expect it to last after 3 years, you're mistaken my dear friend. You will want something more powerful later to run games that will be much more visual details than now.