Want to upgrade an old system with G31PR+Intel PDC 2.2GHz+4GB RAM PC

shaikhshiku

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi Guys, I'd like to have some advise from experts or experienced users.

I have an old PC with following spec:

Intel Dual Core 2.2GHz CPU
4GB RAM on DG31PR motherboard
160 GB 5400rpm Samsung HDD
500 GB 5400rpm WD HDD.

Until now I used this PC to do mostly programming and development stuffs and very occasional gaming like NFSMW, AOE, or FIFA09.
Recently I started working with Google SketchUp and found that the PC runs SketchUp pretty smooth. So I decided to push the performance little more.

Question is, out the following options, how can I upgrade the performance?

1# What CPUs exactly should I look for?
May be Core2Duo 3GHz, or 2.6 GHz, I don't know which one will fit in. I looked into the local store but couldn't find any CPU other than PDC G3220 3GHz closer to the motherboard as is uses the extinct LGA775 socket.
May be I should look for second hand CPUs.

2# If I can't change the CPU, which GPU should be best match for my current CPU?

In my local store these are the available GPUs that may be one of those I need, I am not sure though:

■ Sapphire HD5450 DDR3
■ Gigabyte R5450 DDR3
■ Gigabyte GTX 610 GV-N610D3-2GI 2GB
■ Sapphire R5 230
■ Sapphire r7 240 DDR3 2GB
■ Gigabyte GV-R7240C DDR3

Or any other options? Anything on this is welcome.
My hearty thanks to all.

Hello

You are well past the 'best-by' for that system and because of it's generational age, it will be a challenge to get upgrade parts for it. CPUs are available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Processor-3-16GHz-1333MHz-LGA775/dp/B009AG2YJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426065199&sr=8-1&keywords=lga+775+cpu Even Quad core CPUs are available.

Do you have any GPU at all at the moment? It is not listed.

If not then almost anything is a great improvement provided that the PSU in your existing system can handle it. Given the age of your system, the capacitors in your PSU may have started to fade, reducing your available power and general reliability.

you need to give thought to the future. When something big breaks, what are you going to do? I'd be working on a plan for a complete replacement, and then trying to use as many of the new parts as possible in the old system, until the CPU/Motherboard/RAM replacement is inevitable.

BigChees3

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
hi, first dont even waste your money for those crappy low end overpriced gpus, they are trash, just a big ripoff. you are in the same situation like i was 2 years ago. anyway, if you dont plan to play newer games like bf4, dying light, fc4 n such. then you could just simply get a core 2 quad q6600 or better on the internet for cheap, but dont pay more than 20-30 for it, and yes you gotta buy it used since your hardware is old, but dont worry about it cpus die only if you got a bad cooling, but a stock cooler should keep it in the safe range. when you change cpu then you gotta clean up the termal paste with isopropyl alcohol, 70% at least, and dont forget to buy a thermal paste when installing the new cpu, pk-1/2 or mx-2/4 are good ones for just 10$ dont waste money on other crap. now the gpu, first you should tell what power supply you got. and if yours cant handle a new card then you have to buy a new one probably a 430w is more than enough for you and will probably cost 40-50$. problem with core duos even the quad ones, is their age. if not overclocked then they bottleneck even a gtx 460. if you want a new gpu for your casual gaming then buy used one, since is pointless to spend 100-150$ for a low or entry level card, a gtx 460, 560, or hd 5850, 6870 shouldnt coste more than 40-50$. and there you go with 150$ you should be able to upgrade your pc. but if you have more budget and dont mind buying used then with a little bit of luck you coukd get an i5 750 or something a motherboard, 4-8gb ram, 650-550w psu and a gtx 660, hd 7850, 7870, 7950 for 200-250$ reuse your hdds dvd player n such, and voila it should last you a couple of years more. if cash isnt a problem then and you want everything new then you could blow 400-600$ for a pc with the same or lower specs than a used one for less than half of the money. so, if you stick with the 150$ upgrade option could you tell us what psu you have, and what resolution you are playing at.

ps: dont buy reference cards, never ever. they are loud or warm, or even both. just junk.

shaikhshiku

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Thanks DonkeyOatie and "BigChees3" for replying! :)

This is not my primary PC. My regular one is HP Envy M6 laptop which is enough for my professional works.

I am using this PC for my home's local server(web/media or any other), Internet browsing, Movie playing or other common use. SketchUp, GlassFish and some other server softwares are the main applications that will be running on it.
Other than these, this PC was a gift from my father and have some emotional issues involved. :)
That's why I just don't want to through away it.

By the way, it doesn't have any GPU currently. So I guess anything in place of nothing will give a lot. I guess upgrading to Core2Duo 3GHz will be great or QuadCore will be even better, right? My PSU is 450W. Can you recommend some low-end GPU's that won't be bottle-necked by the CPU? How about HD6450 or HD5450?

BigChees3

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
such cards shouldnt bottleneck your pc, but its pointless, even a toaster can do more :D
better buy an used card for 40-50 bucks and throw a core 2 quad in it, so max 80-100 dollars and you should be able to play games like crysis 3 at low settings. can you tell me the model of the psu you got?

OK, you money, your choice. It's hard to recommend anything specific at the low level, instead, set yourself a budget and grab the best deal available for that, open box, refurb, second hand, clearance.... As you say, just about anything will be better. The cheaper, the easier it will be to toss out when the time comes. Use the 'grand-pappy's axe' principle to deal with the emotional issues. (Head replaced twice, three new handles, and two sets of wedges, but it's still grand-pappy's axe)

I'd be starting with s $55 GTX730.

BigChees3

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

cmon dude those gpus are a big rip off lol
there are 3 versions of it a crappy ddr3 128 bit, a crappy ddr3 64 bit and a ddr5 64 bit, better spend on a used gtx 650, 460, 550 for that price.

@BigChees3. I believe I suggested second hand, refurbished, and open box. While I agree with your sentiments, I'm responding to what the OP says they want. It IS their money. To go further I need an answer to your question about the PSU. I'm assuming that there is a 6 pin pci-e connector for GPU power, but until I know better, I await developments.

$50 may be just beer money.

BigChees3

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

just sayin bro :D

Yes, you know neither of use would be using any of this antique stuff in the first place.