Worth it? Replacing my CPU Cooler with Liquid Cooler?

escarvajal

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Air Cooler) w/Arctic Silver TC
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/chittypoofs/slideshow/New%20PC

The current cooler is so big w/2 120mm fans on each side, and a liquid cooler would be far less bulky.
Although, I have to completely remove the Mobo to take the supporting backplate off the rear of the Mobo, so it's not a small task.
What liquid cooler would you suggest, that works well and is very reliable?
Is this worth it?

Solution
Considering the CM 212 EVO is a BUDGET cooler, just about anything over fifty bucks is going to be a better performer, but most will be just as big. If you go with liquid cooling I'd suggest something without an link software. I like the Cooler Master Nepton 240m or 280l. If you like Corsair, the H105 and H110 are ok, but I don't care for the i-series coolers like the H100i etc., too many people report poor cooling or trouble with the link application for my liking.

Personally, I like to stick with air and I've not found any overclock within reasonable limits (Meaning, 4.6Ghz or lower) that couldn't be easily managed using the Noctua NH-U14S. It's still a tower cooler, but performs MUCH better, and quieter, than the 212 EVO with it's...
Considering the CM 212 EVO is a BUDGET cooler, just about anything over fifty bucks is going to be a better performer, but most will be just as big. If you go with liquid cooling I'd suggest something without an link software. I like the Cooler Master Nepton 240m or 280l. If you like Corsair, the H105 and H110 are ok, but I don't care for the i-series coolers like the H100i etc., too many people report poor cooling or trouble with the link application for my liking.

Personally, I like to stick with air and I've not found any overclock within reasonable limits (Meaning, 4.6Ghz or lower) that couldn't be easily managed using the Noctua NH-U14S. It's still a tower cooler, but performs MUCH better, and quieter, than the 212 EVO with it's loud as hell 120mm fans.

If you're not overclocking, or mildly overclocking, and you can find a Cryorig H7, it's much smaller but performs better than the 212, for about 35 bucks. Looks better too.

Solution

escarvajal

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
I guess I'll just stay with the CM air cooler.
I don't do much OCing at all, so cooling is not an issue, it's just a matter of minimizing the clutter in the box.

Well, a liquid cooler would definitely do that, so you might consider going with a single width 140mm cooler like the Nepton 140xl. Or just removing one of the fans from your 212. It doesn't offer a significant temperature reduction in the first place, increases power consumption, takes up more room and unless the second fan is identical to the primary fan or is a higher RPM model, configured to move more CFM's than the primary fan, it's actually a restriction and added load to the static pressure of the primary fan.