Which qualities and skills should have a programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

norman44

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here, I guess it's the right place to ask. Did anyone hold a higher position in IT sector, please help me to get job. Basically i'm very good student and talented too. But getting a job totally depends on Luck. I'm losing my confidence.And I feel a bit confused about my career,i want achieve something in PHP programming, and get a job here But how? I want to know what qualities for a super programmer, I will be very greatful to you.

Solution

Hi,

There are several qualities that make for a master developer.

1. Attention to detail. Computers do what the programmer tells them to do, not what the programmer wants them to do. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and high level concepts are only slightly less...
Gain work experience and be well rounded, nobody will hire someone who is only good in one specific area these days. Work on your own little projects to practice your skills and let yourself be known, keep yourself updated. Be confident in your skill set and knowledge. Oh and be sociable and make connections with everyone. Best of luck.

Hi,

There are several qualities that make for a master developer.

1. Attention to detail. Computers do what the programmer tells them to do, not what the programmer wants them to do. Ideas are a dime a dozen, and high level concepts are only slightly less cheap. Implementation is where the money is, and that's also where things go wrong. The devil is in the details and that's always where the problems and bugs occur. Good developers know to spend a lot of time on the little things because those are the easiest to overlook down the line. A house without a stable and well poured foundation is extremely precarious, software is no different.

2. Analytical mind. Most of a developer's time is not spent plucking away at program code, it's spent solving analysing and solving problems and then implementing a solution using program code. Programmers that can only regurgitate code snippets that they found on StackExchange are less than useless; programmers that can only regurgitate what they learned in class without any mental processing on their own part are only marginally less useless.

3. Challenge seeking. PHP can provide for a stable career but it is not a rewarding or fun language to work with. My favourite type of developers to work with are C and ASM gurus. These kinds of developers either know the best tool for the job, or are not afraid to find out what the best tool is. They won't simply revert to whatever language or paradigm they are most comfortable with. Abstract languages such as Python and PHP can be used to make a lengthy task simpler, but they cannot be used to make a hard task easier. Hard tasks require hard work, end of story.

4. Communication Skills. Every student that has been through a high-school CS course hates designing flow charts, writing comments, and writing documentation. Those small 50 line programs are rather self explanatory aren't they? Well, a 50,000 line program written over several months or even years is most definitely a different story. Knowing how to communicate in a clear, concise, and accurate manner is incredibly important.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.