Can you help with "dual monitor" display issues ?

Sid Cowans3

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I have a Windows 7 64bit PC connected to a desktop monitor via the VGA socket on a Radeon HD 6450 graphics card. I want to be able to "clone" the monitor desktop onto my 42" Plasma TV via a HDMI to HDMI connection from the graphics card's HDMI out socket.

I used to have this working fine for years using an older Radeon card on my old PC ...... which I have just replaced but I don't recall how I achieved it !!!

I have the latest AMD Catalyst Control Centre onboard but whatever I do, I can't get the required result.

The AMD software identifies the monitor and TV as "1" and "2" just fine but there appears to be no way to "clone" displays and I'm sure I was able to do that before. All I seem able to do now is choose one or the other for my desktop which is no good !

What am I doing wrong ?

Sid Cowans3

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Thanks Matt ...... getting close now !

Okay next issue is that my desktop monitor has a resolution of 1024x768 which is what I need to have for the work I do but when I try to duplicate, it forces a change to higher resolution or tries to.

Is it possible to have different resolutions for each as the TV ideally needs a much higher resolution than I have on my monitor ...... if not, how do I duplicate but at 1024 x 768 ?

Sid Cowans3

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I've also noticed that no matter what resolution I set for my HDMI - TV connection, the resulting image on the TV just sits in the centre and doesn't fill the screen ..... in fact it looks 4:3 to my eyes !

Matt Dobe

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi Sid,

Try going into the Catalyst control centre, advanced mode. Choose the Desktop Properties category.

Can you see the drop down box for each of your displays? You should be able to change the resolution of each display separately.

Sorry if this doesn't work, I haven't done it myself!

Sid Cowans3

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
You can but when you duplicate the displays to show the same thing then you are stuck with one resolution ..... which I guess is logical.

The annoying thing is that I have had this working fine for years until I changed my PC albeit the old one also had both a Radeon card and the same software !

Previously, I could just plug the HDMI cable into my TV and I had a full screen copy of what I had on my desktop monitor ..... no messing with settings or resolution !