Using Windows XP for a MAME arcade machine

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
hey guys,

So sometime in the near future I'm going to take the remnants of my old PC (circa 2005 - AMD Athlon 64 3500/ 2GB of ram / Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Pro / ATI Radeon X850 Pro) and build a MAME arcade machine out of it. I want to get a 128 GB SSD (the board does have SATA) and use Windows XP as the OS, and add a wireless card so I can just remote into the machine to do any maintenance comfortably from my desk. I have an old Windows XP license from this machine which is why I want to use it as opposed to buying a new like Win 7 license.

Does anyone see any downsides of this plan? I mean technically the machine will have internet access but nobody will be surfing on it so the fact Win XP is "dead' should be a non issue.

I'm going to use an X-Arcade for the controller and build it into the cabinet, haven't decided if I want to go vintage style on the monitor yet, depends on my budget.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thanks I'm excited to get it on the workbench and at least get it up and running temporarily. Kind of goofy to be excited about your old computer parts but whatever.

What I may do is use a USB wireless dongle, and just yank it out when I don't need it. This way the 99% of the time that the computer is just running it can do just that, then if i need to do some work I can plug it in, remote in and go.