Is Gigabyte having a Quality Control problem?

Joefreezy

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
So i'm finally here in the future looking to update my old rig (Gigabyte P35 w/ Pentium D!!!) and I've been dream-wishlisting my build (Core i5 4460). I'm gaming oriented w/ some need for future 3d modeling and drafting. I had full confidence in Gigabyte since my mobo has lasted me since 2006, however the reviews of everything on newegg seem like they don't ship quality boards anymore. The average 3 egg seems split between folks that have loved gigabyte for years (like me) and folks that have been sent DOA's and "will never use them again." I realize that some of the DOA's were actually a lack of experience in rig building ( I wont throw stones), but many seemed to have legitimate defects that require FED-EX and kleenex (for the tears.) I have not seen the same ratings and quantity of DOA complaints from comparable Asus and ASRock boards. Is this just a fluke or should I steer clear of Gigabyte for now?

I'm a Gigabyte fan boy, my self. Made 10 builds this week with various gigabyte boards and all of them were and are perfect. Some of the boards had less than good customer ratings. I prefer building with Gigabyte. And I don't pay too much attention to the reviews at newegg or elsewhere.

Find a board you like that has all the bells & whistles you want and go for it. Chances are you'll be OK.

I just built two systems on identical gb z97x motherboards a few months ago, both were pristine and work great. They were upgrades to older gigabyte boards, no issues with those either. From what I could tell, most of gigabyte's boards get pretty good reviews even at newegg. I agree, reviews don't tell the whole story.

Some people I see knocking eggs off for the boards not being advertised at the right form factor - to which I say do a little of your own research, why knock an egg off a product for newegg's inaccurate description. It doesn't make the part bad, it means someone didn't do their homework and newegg made a booboo in the description.

Most of the boards with only 3 eggs are cheapy boards, b85's, h81's etc. Others are x99's and there have been some hiccups with the x99 platform from what I understand. If you look through them, you'll find more 'iffy' ratings among x99's in general regardless of brand. Gigabyte's got plenty of 3 eggs, along with asrock, msi, asus and so on. Just taking a peek through the first page of bad reviews even on the z97x-sli which is an extreme budget board, I see a lot of eggs off due to user error.