Oct 1, 2013
PC Specs
Windows 7
Processor is an Intel i5-4690k
Graphics card is an Asus gtc 770
Motherboard is a Sabertooth Z97 MARK 2
I have 8gigs of ram and a 750w power supply

My issue:
So out of the blue my monitor started going into power saving mode. It happens roughly 5-10 minutes into gaming. Games I've tested are CS:GO, Reign of kings, and H1Z1 but it did not happen while playing league of legends. So it baffles me that this would be an issue with my card when it is able to handle League of legends on full graphics with no issue but a game like CS:GO it will just switch over to power saving mode. I have already updated all drivers and even tried reverting back to old drives on some things, I have cleaned my computer of dust, none of my components seem to be very hot, I've gone into BiOS and messed with the settings as well as disabled the power saving mode option and it still occurs.

I had checked my system log in event viewer and during the time of when it happened (on 1 occasion) I had a lot of kernel power sources come up and some were on a critical or just a warning level. Would this mean it is power supply related, or could this mean anything?

This is all the information i have off the top of my head right now and any sort of reply is greatly appreciated. If you need any more info form me please respond and I will get back to you as soon as I am able.

Eric Ralphs

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013

My GPU is sitting at 29-30 C and my CPU is at a pretty constant 33 C which I'm pretty sure itsnt a bad spot to be at. Would that be a good reason to believe its not my components overheating?

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
Yes, we can take that out of the equation. We need to take away the possible causes regarding hardware to find of what is causing this issue, if it is possible I recommend:

-Taking the GPU out and testing for the same symptoms.
-Trying a different cable.
-Trying a different monitor.

Try these, and hoping we will find out what is causing this issue.

Good luck! and I hope this helps, as I had a similar issue before.

Eric Ralphs

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013

Thank you for the quick reply!

Of course this comes up on my only day off so now I have to spend my time working on this! But I will look into those possibilities and post back as soon as I can!

Eric Ralphs

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
So the first thing I had tried was the cable. RIght now i have my tv plugged in using an HDMI and my monitor which is an LG E2341 plugged in with a DVI cable. I unplugged my TV and used a brand new hdmi cable into my monitor and it seems the issue has gone away. ( with Counter Strike at least) Could it be that my DVI cable is bad?

EDIT: Scratch that. Everything seemed fine but it just seemed to take longer to happen. It lasted about 10 more minutes having the HDMI cable instead of the DVI cable.

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
That is very strange, I am sorry this happened on your day off, I can imagine how annoying this is.

Next thing I next try taking the GPU out and plugging the TV to your motherboard if that is possible, or a monitor. Also double check all the cables and make sure the GPU is properly seated, as well as the CPU fan.

Eric Ralphs

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013

Sorry for such a late response but I had work. So I tested just my TV as a monitor and the same thing had happened. Tomorrow morning I will fiddle with my GPU and CPU and see if that changes anything. Any other thoughts on what i could try? Thanks again!

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
With the CPU, I wouldn't worry about taking it out yet or anything like that. With the GPU try taking it out, then testing your PC. If it still doesn't work, then place the GPU back in. I had a similar problem, and it turned out my GPU wasn't seated correctly, so hoping this might fix your issue.

Eric Ralphs

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with work.

I figured it would be some issue with my GPU so I did as you said and reseated my GPU and I also made sure everything was alright with my CPU, my game was working for a decent time but I was losing A LOT of frames, and then I got an error page with a bunch of information and it also stated that my CPU was over temperature. It then sent me to the BiOS and it showed my CPU was at 88c which is really high. I felt my processor and it was extremely hot. Do you think this could be the issue?

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
Most likely yes that is overheating for your CPU. But don't worry you haven't damged it. make sure the CPU fan is seated correctly and make sure the thermal paste is applied correctly, can you see if your CPU fan is running while your PC us running? Try a different fan header port on your motherboard from the CPU fan.

That is your problem, which is good because it is usually very easy to fix. Your fan could be broken or it isn't seated correctly.

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Eric Ralphs

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013

Well this issue started up after I took my CPU fan and heat sink off to make sure all was good, while I did that It looked like there was barely any thermal compound in them so i added a small amount. So maybe this is why it is overheating like it is now? I cant even turn on my pc anymore because it automatically goes to this error page. I'm going to go grab myself some liquid cooling and see what that will do for me and go form there.

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
That is your answer, sometimes thermal paste does need replacing. Once you have a cooler able to keep the CPU and a good temp then your PC should be just fine. If not, it should be simple to fix.