H61M-DS2 DVI Intel i5 Quad CPU Fan noise

J3MINI

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
Hey everyone.

I have a small little problem regarding an Intel i5 stock fan running on a H61M-DS2 DVI i5 quad chipset.

Sadly my local PC store outlet couldnt help because they had no replacement fans in stock, so i'm throwing this out to you guys on here.

The noise level is a little bit of a concern, it seems to be running higher than it should be and is causing a constant whir and hum even when idle. It only seems to completely calm to a quieter pace with no activity atall, whats even stranger is that none of my installed components like the graphics card and processor are showing signs of overheating. Everything based on a readout from Speccy are as low as 32 *C to as high as 40-60 when under heavy load like gaming / streaming and graphic editing as would be normal for most hardware depending on cooling. Unfortunately using Speedfan to try and control the fan speed just vomits a blue screen as it conflicts with Nvidia drivers so thats out the window.

Far as i can tell my PSU is running fine without any deteriotation, and the 520W is more than capable of powering everything including GPU which is a GT 640 (old card now but it gets me by)

I've tried compressed air and a small brush to eradicate every trace of dust buildup from inside and the fact that the noise remains is bizzare.

so, a silly question it may seem, but would a fan replacement help out big time and would something like the Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 from arctic be a saviour seeing as my board is a socket 1155 , as suggested by friends and i've used Arctic products before like the thermal compound.

Thanks ahead!

gregbattis

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Sounds like you should just order a new fan Arctic fans are some of my favorite air coolers and the temperatures look fine for now as long as they don't get higher than 60 it should be fine. As for the noise it is probably caused by the fan bearing being bad. If you are thinking it is causing damage dont run the computer until you get a new fan. Keep the inside free of dust and the fan running good and you will be fine.

J3MINI

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
I dont think it is causing damage but the longer i leave it un-attended the worse it'll get and probably will overheat things and as far as i'm aware,Intel stock fans dont last long, so i will do the latter and order in a replacement fan asap!! :) Thankyou :D

J3MINI

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
Oops, i dont think i can set it as solved, i set it to a discussion instead of a question......

In true Simpson style...

DOH! :pt1cable: