Running Games at less than Native Refresh Rate

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
This may be a stupid question but I just purchased a third monitor and have been running games with Nvidia Surround; the problem is that the monitors' native refresh rate is 144hz and I cannot achieve that framerate while running the games on three monitors @5760x1080. I have two GTX 780 OC's in SLI and the games generally run between 70 and 100 fps.

Would I be better off if I just set the refresh rate to 60hz so I don't see such a large change in the fps while I am playing?

Solution
I think there isn't a proper answer. If you experience big fps drops and it irritates you than you should probably try 60hz and if it's smoother then go on with it, if it's worse than you revert.

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
I think there isn't a proper answer. If you experience big fps drops and it irritates you than you should probably try 60hz and if it's smoother then go on with it, if it's worse than you revert.

Solution

chad2584

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.

On a side note, could my current processor be a bottleneck for my graphics cards? I have a i7 3770 that is slightly OC'd. I ask because I got the "Brawn" achievement in Steam for 3DMark which tells me that my CPU may not be keeping up with the GPU's.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced ($300-$500) upgrade if my CPU could in fact be restricting my set up?

It is easy to tell if your CPU is limiting the frame rate.
Simply lower the detail settings and see if you get a substantial increase in frame rate.
If the frame rate increases with the lower settings, than the graphics cards are limiting your frame rate at your normal settings.
If there is little difference, then your CPU may be limiting the frame rate.

There isn't anything available as a worth while upgrade for a 3770K in a gaming PC at the moment. Maybe when Skylake is released around the end of this year.