Have I just been really, really stupid? (It looks like it)...

sir_tmas

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hey all. I'd just like to start this topic by saying that I know virtually nothing about electronics...

So for the past week and a half or so, I have been getting random crashes - only when my PC was under load. Crashes ranged from soft locks, complete loss of power or a forced restart, with my BIOS telling me that 'anti-surge has been enabled due to an unstable power supply unit'.

I had a bit of an investigate - made sure all my wires were connected properly inside my case and made sure the lead sat inside my PSU correctly. All looked fine, but I still got these crashes.

These crashes got more and more frequent. Eventually, it got to the point where my PC would come on for 15 seconds or so and would just lose power. Fearing the demise of my other components, I bought myself a be quiet! Power Zone PSU (as according to that 'Tier List' floating around somewhere).

So I've pulled my broken PSU out and have binned it (Corsair CX 600m for anybody interested).

Here's the thing though - as I just went to pull my PSU power cable out of the wall, I realised that it had somehow been half unplugged and was JUST hanging onto the socket - I'm amazed it hadn't fell down to be honest.

So I'm kind of wondering/assuming that this was the cause of my problems and that my PSU was actually fine? As the connection into the wall socket was virtually non existant, this was causing power spikes or something? If somebody can confirm/deny this, I'd be grateful.

(hangs head in shame)