Asus Monitor vg248qe - Would you recommend this monitor for gaming or should I wait for a newer model?

Solution
Not at all. VGA is an outdated technology. DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort are superior in every way and newer GPUs don't even have a VGA port anymore, requiring adapters to even be able to drive a VGA-only monitor.

As for whether or not this monitor is worthy of a recommendation, absolutely! I have one myself and it's great, incredibly responsive and smooth and once you get it properly calibrated the colors aren't half bad for a TN monitor.
It's downside is the horrible presets. This monitor needs calibration. I can give you my settings if you decide to get this monitor so you don't have to spend an hour messing with settings yourself, they work great for me.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Not at all. VGA is an outdated technology. DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort are superior in every way and newer GPUs don't even have a VGA port anymore, requiring adapters to even be able to drive a VGA-only monitor.

As for whether or not this monitor is worthy of a recommendation, absolutely! I have one myself and it's great, incredibly responsive and smooth and once you get it properly calibrated the colors aren't half bad for a TN monitor.
It's downside is the horrible presets. This monitor needs calibration. I can give you my settings if you decide to get this monitor so you don't have to spend an hour messing with settings yourself, they work great for me.

Solution

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
No problem, glad to help ;)

These are my settings:

Splendid Mode: Theater
Brightness: 35 (had it at 60 first but turned it down over the course of a few days)
Contrast: 60
Saturation: 60
Color Temp.: User Mode -> Red: 99 Green: 98 Blue: 87
Skin Tone: Natural
Smart View: Off
Sharpness: 50
Trace Free: 80 (performs much better than 100 for some reason)
ASCR: Off

This is at 144Hz using DisplayPort and I'm not using an ICC Profile, their Gamma is generally too low for me, can't see anything in dark areas.

ICC Profiles if you want to use them:
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/ (it's in there somewhere)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

TheLegendCreator

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015