Loud Buzzing/Static Sound from Monitor Headphone Jack

docjack

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Monitor: LG 23MP75HM-P

A laptop is powering the monitor via HDMI. There is a loud buzzing/static sound when I plug my headphone into the headphone jack of the monitor. If I plug the headphone into the laptop's headphone jack, there is no buzzing/static sound and there is no audio as well (audio comes from monitor's speakers). Is this a faulty monitor? I bought it brand new yesterday.

EDIT: I have tested the following:
1. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the monitor, the buzzing/static stops.
2. I thought there may be some interference with the HDMI cable among other cables, so I disconnected the monitor and reconnected it with the same HDMI cable via the front of the desk (no other cables). The buzzing/static remains.

Solution
Something with the HDMI is not electrically isolated enough. It may be an issue with your particular monitor, or that monitor in general, but there is no end user fix for this. I recommend a return and figure out what else you want next.
Something with the HDMI is not electrically isolated enough. It may be an issue with your particular monitor, or that monitor in general, but there is no end user fix for this. I recommend a return and figure out what else you want next.

Solution

Just be wary- some of these companies just tell you anything to get you to keep their product until after the return period has passed so they keep the sale, and they do not get stuck with it- even when they know it is bad.