Third monitor is blurry/not sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanGT

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Hi, I have Asus gtx 770 2gb in a triple monitor setup(3 Samsung 23'') Im using 2 DVI and one vga converter to HDMi.
Why is it that one of the monitors is not as sharp as the other two(color is off/Text are rugged)
Can someone please help?? thanks.
Im not even running surround and gaming just a mere excel spreadsheets are rugged text and color is off. thanks

Is the one that seems blurry the VGA one? And can you ask someone else if s/he sees it?

The reason I ask is that some people have picky eyes. In my office, they set us up with docking stations with one DVI and one VGA connection. I complained that the VGA monitor was blurry; I was told that I was nuts, no-one could see the difference. So I walked up to people's desks and pointed out which monitor was on VGA and which was on DVI just by looking at the screen.

RyanGT

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015

Yes, It's the vga monitor that is a little blurry/color is off and rugged text.
is it time to change my monitor or im doing something not right? is it because im using a cheap converter or what? this is driving me nuts. http://

Good point, WyomingKnott. I must be one with weak eyesight (mind you I am almost 65) 'cos when I switched over from VGA to DVI (same monitor) I couldn't see any difference, not even with text. I suppose you've got to see both side-by-side to see the difference though.

RyanGT

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Well, i have tried auto adjust, it didn't help at all. i let my brother choose which monitor shows the roughest text and after a couple of seconds comparing side side. he picks the vga monitor. So is it really because of the vga monitor? ( i don't know if its relevant but im not using an active adapter)

In my experience, it's not the monitor so much as the VGA signal path is inherently less precise than the digital signal path. You really want to go digital end-to-end.

Failing that, I suggest that you remove the VGA to HDMI converter from the signal path entirely. Every signal conversion causes a loss of precision. If that particular one is worse than usual, try letting the monitor do it.
Specifically, if that card has a third digital output use it (see how lazy I am, I didn't look it up). If not, attach the VGA output directly to that monitor's VGA input (has it got one?). See if that looks any better. Try the VGA input on the other three monitors. If any direct VGA setup gives you a good enough picture, keep that monitor on the VGA port. If not, time for a new card.

@Phillip Corcoran

Yes, age can degrade one's sensitivity to the difference. But many people simply don't see the difference at all; those people are happier because it doesn't bother them. The OP is describing a case that I suspect is fairly unsubtle.

But I'm going to re-tell a story to illustrate just how peoples' eyes differ in sensitivity to this. I once had an AB switchbox at work. Gave me a headache, with a one-pixel offset ghost image. So someone who couldn't see the difference traded me for his switchbox. Same issue. I called the manufacturer of the box; they had never heard of this.

They called me back the next day. EVERY box in their lab did the same thing. No-one had noticed before. They used their own switchboxes all the time.

EDIT: I got less lazy and looked for the card. The one I found, here: http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/GTX770DC2OC2GD5/ , doesn't have VGA out. Is this the right card, and you are getting VGA from the DVI-I port? Or is your converter converting FROM hdmi TO vga? Now I'm lost.

EDIT TWO: Yeah, the picture looks like HDMI card output to VGA cable to the monitor. If that's the case, the solution will be easier. Either use HDMI or DisplayPort input to your monitor or, if the monitor doesn't support those, get a digital-to-DVI converter to get a clean signal into your third monitor.

I think I'll stop appending to this and use a new post next time. Please let me know if my guess about your setup is correct, and the monitor model so we can see what inputs it has.

Huh! I remember auto-adjust, but only from the days of CRT screens. I didn't realize that LCD screens have auto-adjust also. Live and learn. If only they would auto-calibrate, too. I'm sick of multi-monitor setups where a window changes color when I move it from one monitor to another. But I haven't shelled out for a colorimeter and software; too rich for my blood.

Old guy in Oz

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Have the same issue. Audio workstation built this year with Gigabyte GeForce GT730 passive card, three Samsung S24B420 monitors (native 1920 x 1200). Two connected to the digital outs (DVI and HDMI) are fine, one connected to the VGA out (no adaptor) shows a double image which makes all text and lines blurry.

Any thoughts on how to fix the blur on the GeForce?

Previously use a Sapphire Radeon HD6450 Flex edition with three digital outs and no problems. Am thinking of swapping back to it.

Old guy - please post a new question.
1) "Me too" posts don't get answered, and forum guidelines suggest a new question
2) This thread hasn't been live in 9 months, please don't "necropost" old threads.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.