Please clarify my DVI Graphics card and monitor connections

blobbyflob

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hi,

I want to clarify what connections I currently have, and would appreciate help.

I have a Nvidia Geoforce GTX 650 Ti card which as you might be able to see has DVI-i, DVI-D and HDMI mini sockets.

Graphics%20Card%20sockets_zps4p6sd2jh.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I also use a (oldish) Samsung 2032BW Monitor
Here's the socket,,
Samsung%20Monitor%20socket_zpsi5kqjxog.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I have the cable connected between the DVI-D Dual link on the Graphics card to the DVI-D Dual link of the Samsung Monitor.
The two ends of the connecting cable look like this....

and

Firstly, have I got the terminology correct for the cable connectors.....
Does the Monitor end of the cable have a DVI-D Single link connector?
Does the Graphics card end of cable have a DVI-D Single link connector?

Secondly, I am slightly thrown by the fact that a DVI-D Single link is connected to the DVI-D DUAL link socket on the Graphics card. If that is correct why is that done?

If I need to replace the cable do I ask for exactly the same (DVI-D Single link to DVI-D Single link) ...
or is the existing cable incorrect.

Finally, could any other cable choices improve what I have?

Thanks guys for any help!

Solution

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

1) Yes you do :). Both the monitor and your gpu have a a dvi-d single link connectors, but they could support dual links.
2) Its to do with the Resolution your using
Single up to 1920 × 1200
Dual up to 2560 × 1600
3) The cable you are using is completely fine, unless you are trying to go above 1200p.
4) The best slot you have on that card is the HDMI, but your monitor does not support hdmi, am I correct? If not, then is 1080p the highest your monitor will go?

Nice photoshop skillz btw.

1. Yes, your terminology is correct across the board

Your GPU has a Dual-Link DVI-I, a Dual-Link DVI-D, and a mini-HDMI. Note that HDMI 1.x is electrically identical to Single-Link DVI-D, it just has a different mechanical interface.

Your display has a Dual-Link DVI-D input.

2. Dual-Link DVI-I can be configured as any of the following using a passive converter:

VGA
DVI-A
Single-Link DVI-D
Dual-Link DVI-D
HDMI (not always supported)

Single-Link DVI-D provides enough bandwidth to drive a display at 1920x1200 @ 60 hz using 10 bit colour depth (limited to 8 bits on consumer graphics cards). Dual-Link DVI-D is needed to drive displays above 1920x1200. A display that supports Dual-Link DVI-D may work with a Single-Link DVI-D cable.

3. If your display supports Dual-Link DVI-D, you should use Dual-Link DVI-D.

4. If it's working properly (configured at advertised resolution, refresh rate, and colour depth) then no. DVI-D is not prone to degraded image quality at high resolutions like VGA and DVI-A are.

Tacticall993

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2013

way to steal the best answer :/

Wolfshadw

Titan
1) All your images and note are correct except the HDMI-Mini. It's not a mini. That is a full sized HDMI output.
2) It looks like just the cable is single link. Both the monitor and graphics card are dual-link. It will work, but single link connections do not have the higher refresh rates at the higher (above 1080p) resolutions.
3) You don't need to replace the cable, but if you want to, you should consider going with a dual-link DVI cable.
4) See #3

-Wolf sends

I like to take the time to fully explain things in detail. You submitted your post before I had finished writing mine.

Solution

blobbyflob

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

:)

Thanks!

I think I see now.
The dual connector fittings allow single link connectors, because not all monitors or Graphics cards can pump out
or accept up to 2560 × 1600.
Why single link connectors? Are they 'an old standard' that no one uses any more? Why isn't dual link used all the time?

My Samsung monitor's spec states max res is 1680 x 1050, and my gpu states :
Maximum Digital Resolution 4096x2160
Maximum VGA Resolution 2048x1536
3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI.

So I come to the conclusion it is not worth spending money on cabling.

New Question
So, assume I want to replace my monitor.
My eyesight is ok'ish and I wear glasses just for computer and close up work.
Unless I get a bigger than 20" screen the icons will be tiny if I try to run at a higher resolution on a new monitor with HDMI - is that the bottom line?

If it helps, 90% of the time I use the computer for the usual general stuff like web, email, word processing etc.
The other 10% is playing 'Elite Dangerous' - and in time I would like to save for Occulus etc.. but wouldn't we all... :)

blobbyflob

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

Thank you.
That's very helpful info.
Appreciated.