My XFX 7870 and Galaxy GT 640 will not post to any monitor, do I need to replace a part?

TomahawkTSD

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
I have a 600w EVGA psu, everything is connected properly, these cards worked previously on the same board, the board is the Asus M5A97 Le r2.0, no PCI-E lane will work, I've tried unstalling ram and using one stock at a time, I've used two hdmi cables, two vga cables, and a dvi to vga cables on an Acer 15.6" 768p generic panel and an Asus 22.5" 1080p panel, fans spin on both gpus, motherboard led lights up, case and cpu fans spin, everything is connected correctly, no onboard igpu to test, cpu is fx 6300, don't have any other CPUs to test with, also I found that the thermal grease on my fx 6300 had been almost entirely stripped off, I cleaned the cpu and will replace the grease and reinstall when my artic silver comes in the mail, could the cpu temporarily overheating be the issue?

TomahawkTSD

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

Thanks for the reply, tomorrow Im going to a friends house since he has the same cpu on a different mobo and testing the cpu, ram, motherboard, and gpu I'll post the results if you'd like

TomahawkTSD

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

Unfortunately he is paranoid something of his will get broken or bricked and won't let me test parts but I believe the issue to be the cpu since everything still turns on (just doesn't display) without it in, so I'm buying a cpu on Amazon and if that's not the issue I'll send it back and try a new motherboard, then new psu, and so on until I isolate the issue, unfortunately no one else I knot has an am3+ system and there is no pc shop in my area and my dad and I don't really have a car that we can take past the closest small town atm