Apr 5, 2012
current system specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU
8GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD3 Mobo
HIS Radeon HD 6850 IceQ Gpu
Corsair TX 750W Psu
*Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Upon installing the new r9 280x I get no signal to my tv or monitor using hdmi or dvi cables and (presumably) no post or successful OS boot. After I plug in my old gpu every boots up perfectly. I tried clearing cmos, updating bios, and using different 6+2 pin pci-e cables. I was looking into changing pci rom priority to legacy from efi but couldn't seem to find anything like that in my bio settings so I just assumed it was unsupported feature of my mobo. I need to find some time to take the gpu to a buddies house to confirm a DOA just trying to do everything I can to prevent going through an RMA process -____-

Solution
Well, as always it's a drag that the hardware is bad, but at least you know what it is now and can get it resolved. Not knowing is worse than knowing, even when it means something has to be replaced. Good luck with the replacement process.
Look on the card to see if there is a button to change from UEFI to non-UEFI mode. Try reseating the card. Make sure you're installing in the correct slot, which I assume you are but need to mention anyhow, which is the #1 PCIe x16 slot nearest to the cpu. I'll check the bios settings in the manual to see if there are any user settings that might affect POST, but I doubt it.

Drivers have NO relationship with a lack of display or POST prior to the beginning of the OS beginning to load. Driver issues only occur after the POST sequence completes.

Feb 15, 2015
"The SAPPHIRE HD 7730 UEFI edition/UEFI ready products are compatible with motherboards that comply with UEFI Specification 2.3.1 or after. It is also compatible with motherboards that do not have UEFI feature.

Motherboards that contain earlier version of UEFI must be updated to the latest version or have the UEFI option turned off, otherwise, the graphics card will boot in legacy mode, or in some cases, not boot at all. Please refer to your motherboard userguide for BIOS update instruction."

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=2024&lid=1

PhunnyJesta

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
- old card is an amd radeon hd 6850.
- I did a full uninstall of all amd drivers before I installed the r9.
- I tried booting with that button on and off
-My mobo revision is 1.1

PhunnyJesta

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

with add or remove programs, according to AMD's website choosing the full uninstall option would remove all drivers as well as the catalyst program

my buddy has that board and card [280x] and no issues ?? hmmmm..

hard to say now loks like your steps were good to me have you tried to insert the card in the slot 2 or 3 times ti insure it ''scratches '' a good contact between the slot and golden fingers ?? and all power plugs hooked up full and correctly ??

looking at these reviews it seems most all the reviewers got near your set up with out any issues so with that seems there should be no issues ???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202137&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

I guess go to your buddies and see to insure its just not a bad card in some way ?? or if that psu pci-e is not right and not powering the card as it should ???? or insure the pci- lead's are fully plugged in to the back of the psu and got good contact there as well

PhunnyJesta

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

I have tried reinstalling the card a good 5 times and everything seems to lock into place each time. I was thinking it might have been the 6+2 pin plugs since they dont really snap into 1 unit very well not sure if that even matters. Also after looking into the mobo manual I found I may have choosen the wrong pci boot priorities. I choose PEG-1 assuming it matched up to my PCIE slot 1 but the PEG (non numbered) is actually the one that matches up with the first slot. I'll give that a whirl and see if anything comes out of that.

Junkeymonky, you don't seem to understand that this is not a windows or driver issue. There is NO display after power on. It does NOT have anything to do with drivers or uninstalling or operating systems. This is a pre-windows issues related to hardware, not software. It does not have any display capabilities, not for bios, not for POST, nothing. There is no way for it to be driver related, period.

This is almost certainly a UEFI vs non-UEFI issue, as I first indicated and as backoffman noted as well. My last Sapphire 280x had a small UEFI button on the card and with it lit, would not boot in any older system. I can't determine if your card has this or not by the details on the product page but it's worth checking your card visually to verify. Aside from that, the info backoffman provided regarding the firmware may be your best direction for now if everything else is in order.

PhunnyJesta

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Yes it does have the UEFI button on the card and still no boot whether its on or off. I have my bios updated to latest version and there is no option at all in the bios for turning off UEFI as a whole. However there is an option specifically for EFI for booting cds and dvds but I didn't think that would effect it at all.

What version IS your BIOS? If it's older than F10e I'd update to that version. It's been listed as beta for quite some time, since Sept. of 2014, and would have been pulled or revised by now if there were concerns with using it. And my apologies, there does not seem to be a CSM setting for revision 1.1 of that board, at least on the orgininal bios.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3996#bios

PhunnyJesta

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Sorry when I said i had the latest bios update i meant latest non-beta which is f9. I will certainly give that a shot. I am also going to a buddie's house on saturday who has recently bought the exact same card which will be the determining factor of DOA or not.

Thank you all for all of your help, it was very much appreciated. I will be back with answer then hopefully clearing things up more for others having the same issue.

I experienced a similar issue with a 280X on a Sabertooth board that couldn't be resolved until I updated the BIOS to what was, then, also a beta version. Problem was solved and not long after they released another "stable" version that I'm fairly certain was the same version but was now "verified" as being stable. Anyhow, good luck. Fingers crossed.

PhunnyJesta

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Updated to F10e and still no luck. Ill have to try out my card at my buddies tomorrow. Problem is now what if it works....would it sound like a power supply issue or a mobo issue??