BIOS OS, an operating system as your bios

cburgess7

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
I've been thinking about this a lot since i got my new board (ASUS P8H77V-LE) the bios has a full fledged GUI along with mouse support as well as a file browser to update the bios via USB drive. Given all the high capacity solid state storage mediums we have right now, pop in a 1GB bios, add a media player, a web browser, a word processor, and a desktop, and you have yourself an operating system built onto the motherboard. Of course all your games, media, and additional software will have to be stored on an ssd/hdd, but overall, I think it would be doable, what does everyone else think?

cburgess7

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

It would be exactly like that, a full operating system for browsing the web, playing games, music, movies, etc. as well as full EXE support, I personally think it would be a big hit in the HTPC and enthusiast community. You will still be able to install windows if you prefer it, you'd just have to disable boot to bios (BTB) and set boot device priority as you would any other bios, if BTB is disabled, and you hit (example) F1, you'd see the bios as you would any other bios, when re-enabled and restarted, it would boot to the bios OS desktop. All your bios settings would be in the bios OS control panel, which since microsoft copyright "control panel", it would have to be called something like "control center".