Crossover 27Q LED-P monitor dead - repair or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
My Crossover 27Q LED-P monitor just died after almost 3 years. The brightness was flickering / changing in intensity. Then it went black. Changing connectors on the video card brought it back for a while as did turning it off for a while and then turning it back on. Today however none of those approached did anything. I plugged a different monitor into the same port and it works fine so I am sure it is the monitor.

Is there a way to repair it? I saw some listings for a replacement video driver board on eBay but the last one was sold yesterday. Any other source for these boards? What do I need to check to make sure the board is the correct solution?

If it isn't worth repairing what would be a good 4k monitor to get? I was thinking about the Dell P2715Q based on its price and being an IPS panel. I game and do some CAD / Image work. My video card is a GTX690. I was going to wait for my next build for a 4k monitor but if my current monitor is dead I figure I might as well get the 4k monitor now.

Thanks

Solution
In my opinion you have nothing to lose by opening the monitor up and seeing what is wrong with it. I personally just repaired an old one of mine today by replacing a blown capacitor. Works perfect. I'd start by opening it up and checking for bad capacitors (try Google images), pretty easy to spot. If so buy a few online for like 3 bucks and a solder gun for like 12 bucks and solder the new cap in place of the blown one. Seems complicated but very easy really, I'm sure there's videos online of how to do this. Really, we need to know what is wrong with it before making any decisions

Edit: your symptoms aren't the same as mine were, mine would be perfect then out of know where lose all Power (not just signal) but I opened it up and a...

Sativapurp

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
In my opinion you have nothing to lose by opening the monitor up and seeing what is wrong with it. I personally just repaired an old one of mine today by replacing a blown capacitor. Works perfect. I'd start by opening it up and checking for bad capacitors (try Google images), pretty easy to spot. If so buy a few online for like 3 bucks and a solder gun for like 12 bucks and solder the new cap in place of the blown one. Seems complicated but very easy really, I'm sure there's videos online of how to do this. Really, we need to know what is wrong with it before making any decisions

Edit: your symptoms aren't the same as mine were, mine would be perfect then out of know where lose all Power (not just signal) but I opened it up and a bad cap on the power supply board was very noticeable. But I still think opening it up is worth a shot, why not?

As a disclaimer, be careful as capacitors and other things can hold a charge, just take your time and make sure it's not plugged in

Solution

arcadia

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I just came across this thread recently. A bit late, but did you fix it yet?

It sounds like you had the same problem I had. The backlight is probably not coming on. The blue light should still come on I believe... You can check it by shining a flashlight on the screen while it is connected to your computer. You should still be able to see a faint shadow of your desktop.

This is from the smaller LED backlight Driver/Inverter board burning out. You can read up on it here some: ( http://www.overclock.net/t/1232496/crossover-27q-led-led-p-27m-led-2720mdp-gold-led-monitor-club/6310 ).

Contact the seller. Mine was Accessorieswhole, and they sent me a new LED driver board for free.

Hope this helps!

Crash55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
I bought a new board off of eBay for like $40 and it fixed it

Status
Not open for further replies.