Are IPS monitors much better than TN monitors for gaming?

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hello, guys;

This is my intended build to be put together with the next two months:

CPU:Intel Core i7-4790K
MOBO:Gigabyte ga-z97x Gaming 5
GPU:Gtx 980 Gygabyte Gaming 1
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM XMP
HDD: WD Caviar Dark 1TB
SSD: 850 EVO 120GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
Case: Nzxt H440

I don't really think I will be playing this ultra competitive games like BF4 where I will need ultra precision at every camera movement. I mean, I might play it, but I'm not an ultra fan of PVP and that stuff. I would love to have the most beautiful picture at 60hz or more, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the picture quality just to move and react faster than most people. I would only be playing at 1080p, no more, not until I SLI another GTX 980 when it comes to that in the future.

I guess my question is this:

I would love to have this 144hz TN monitors, but without losing the color quality of the IPS ones, but I know I can't have both. Would getting a good TN monitor sacrifice the "beauty" of my games to a point that would make it not worth it? I mean, like, "dude, if you get a TN monitor you will have 50% the image quality of a good IPS monitor". I wouldn't want to sacrifice that much of a percentage. I hope I made sense. Please recommend me a good gaming monitor.

I am really new to this, I'm just talking from what I have read here and there.

I really appreciate your time guys!

Bannereus

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
I'm no expert, but according the evaluations that Tom's does (which seem quite reflective of image quality as I understand it):
Modern TN panels exist with brightness, contrast, gamma, and uncalibrated colour accuracy good enough for an untrained eye and many non-professional applications, and as well as the average IPS

At this point, TN panels only come with 8-bit-per-channel colour (some use upscaling techniques to simulate more), whereas IPS come with native 8-bit or 10-bit; this impacts their ability to show fine-grained intermediate colours (more bits for colour = finer adjustment)
(check the wiki page for Colour Depth if you want a better explanation)
Once you understand this, you just have to decide what your tolerance is subjectively, as it is very difficult to relate theoretical colour-steppings to the perceived experience

BUT keep in mind this does not inherently affect their capacity to replicate the hue or saturation of a colour (a cheap monitor may look washed-out/faded/dark because it is cheap, NOT because it is Twisted-Nematic)

A high-quality TN monitor will look good, and the best IPS is better than the best TN for colour detail
And, both can look better with proper calibration

One disadvantage that actually is inherent to TN panels is a smaller viewing angle, and rapidly degrading picture as you move away from a straight-on viewing position. I don't deny this, and TNs would make terrible television screens, but for my monitor I say "meh"
At this point, TN panels seem to be the only monitor technology capable of >60Hz refresh rates and pixel-response times to match (faster refresh means smoother images, if the GPU can provide it and lower input lag)

Personally, I would prefer a smoother image and live with a TN panel, certainly not just for gaming, but hopefully my explanation wasn't too biased to be helpful

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I have an Overlord Tempest. I had a single 780ti for several months before I bought a second one. A couple of points: 1)I don't think the picture is markedly better than my previous 24" dell, but it's rather nice when I look at it from higher than eye vantage point or from either side 2) your 980 will more than handle 1440 at max settings 3) if you're going to do any o/c and do a sli setup, you may want to consider a 1000 watt power supply.
I didn't have any issues getting my tempest to 120hrz, some evidently do. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Tempest to anyone.