HDMI being forced as main display on multi monitor set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Hello, I have recently installed a gtx 970 and decided i'd try running my tv as my second monitor again(with my old card i'd get a weird bug with the cursor being giant) now it works my main acer lcd monitor is using dvi and the tv is hooked up with HDMI now when I use extended display everything fine and dandy my desktop is on my acer and the tv is the second monitor, but when I switch to single display it switches my desktop/display to the tv and my acer goes blank. I've tried changing everything I could think of in windows screen resolution as well as nvidia control panel.
any thoughts?

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I've tried everything from the control panel to nvidia control panel and it's still being forced as main display regardless of what I do. thanks for the input anyways.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
even in control panel and nvidia control panel it says my acer is the main display, even when I turn extended display off and it gets switched to the tv connected via hdmi it still says the acer is the primary monitor... when I'm in extended displays the acer has my desktop on it but If I switch to computer only my desktop gets shifted over to the tv no matter what I do seems to be fixing it might just go back to a lower resolution and go back to vga.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
nvm i got it lol ill just be needing 1 and ill be using it for the tv using both dvi hook ups on my card. the speakers will no longer work on the tv correct tho? hmmm decisions decisions.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
yeah, those cables. connect the HDMI using the fancy cable to your acer DVI monitor. connect your TV to whatever other connector is sensible on your card. the cables are cheap so buy 2 just in case (see below!)

another option to consider is running the gaming screen from the card and running the tv from onboard graphics if you have it. you'd typically need to go into BIOS to re-enable the IGPU (integrated gpu). at the very least, keep it in your back pocket as an option.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

so it worked temporarily, if I switch from extended to single display the tv goes back to being identified as the 1st monitor and my desktop gets switched over. the only way to fix this is unplug both displays with the machine on then plug my monitor first so it gets detected and 1st monitor then the tv. but soon as switch from single to extended the tv goes back to being the 1st detected monitor and yea. i'm about to pull my hair out trying to deal with this really stupid issue.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I guess you were right I do need another damn cord, If I use another going from dvi from the monitor into the hdmi slot in my rig it should be detected as hdmi and stay as default 1st display? or is it going to stay DVI because check this picture out this is using hdmi to dvi from tv with the dvi in my rig and the hdmi going to the tv but its still being detected as HDMI. I'm worried now if I get another one its going to be detected as dvi and not do what I want it too. why must this be so complicated!!!!!!!

KwZwfE4.png

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
alright I just tried connecting the monitor with dvi going from dvi from monitor to hdmi to rig and its being displayed as DVI I dont think there is a fix for this issue..... looks like im stucked having a lower resolution 2nd monitor until i invest into a proper dvi monitor. /cry

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I've determined that it is just terrible drivers by windows apparently, I downloaded a program called Ultramon in an attempt to solve this and it displays my acer no problem as 1st display and tv as 2nd.... windows on the other hand.... yea fml

Status
Not open for further replies.