Are IPS monitors much better than TN monitors for gaming? (Lookinf for more opinions)

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hello, guys;

This is my intended build to be put together with the next two months:

CPU:Intel Core i7-4790K
MOBO:Gigabyte ga-z97x Gaming 5
GPU:Gtx 980 Gygabyte Gaming 1
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM XMP
HDD: WD Caviar Dark 1TB
SSD: 850 EVO 120GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
Case: Nzxt H440

I don't really think I will be playing this ultra competitive games like BF4 where I will need ultra precision at every camera movement. I mean, I might play it, but I'm not an ultra fan of PVP and that stuff. I would love to have the most beautiful picture at 60hz or more, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the picture quality just to move and react faster than most people. I would only be playing at 1080p, no more, not until I SLI another GTX 980 when it comes to that in the future.

I guess my question is this:

I would love to have this 144hz TN monitors, but without losing the color quality of the IPS ones, but I know I can't have both. Would getting a good TN monitor sacrifice the "beauty" of my games to a point that would make it not worth it? I mean, like, "dude, if you get a TN monitor you will have 50% the image quality of a good IPS monitor". I wouldn't want to sacrifice that much of a percentage. I hope I made sense. Please recommend me a good gaming monitor.

I am really new to this, I'm just talking from what I have read here and there.

I really appreciate your time guys!

Solution
TN is better for gaming due to the better response times. I don't have one, but IPS is supposed to look better with more accurate colors.

I don't get the wider viewing angle aspect of the IPS panel, since I just sit directly in front of my monitor, which I would think most everyone does. Best bet is to go somewhere that has a pair of each monitor sitting side by side an see for yourself.
IPS looks really good!! I have a IPS monitor, and while I would enjoy a 144hz refresh rate over better picture quality, IPS is now starting to change my mind. Games look gorgeous!

If you want better picture quality, then it makes zero sense to not go with IPS.

BTW... Acer is coming out with a 144hz 1080P IPS G-SYNC monitor soon. (Basically, literally every gamer's dream monitor.)

The current crop of TN panels are quite good colour wise their main drawback (for me) is their fairly weak viewing angles, I tend to move about a bit when gaming and find the colour shift inherent in a TN panel ruins the immersion.
Downsides of IPS panels is their longer refresh times and increased input lag, but at 55 years of age neither is much of a problem for me, it'll be far more noticeable if you are younger!
Couple of questions:
What size and resolution do you have in mind?
How much of your money would you like us to help you spend? ;)

TechyInAZ: Like this one? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-077-AC&groupid=17&catid=948
Shame I've an AMD card...

Input lag? I'm in my teens and I don't notice any input lag.

TN is better for gaming due to the better response times. I don't have one, but IPS is supposed to look better with more accurate colors.

I don't get the wider viewing angle aspect of the IPS panel, since I just sit directly in front of my monitor, which I would think most everyone does. Best bet is to go somewhere that has a pair of each monitor sitting side by side an see for yourself.

Solution

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the information. That monitor does look amazing, but unfortunately, at least for now, I can't spend more than 300 dollars. I think.

We all see the world a little differently so what is an awesome display for one is a total, headache inducing monster to someone else, so I totally agree with 17seconds and suggest you try to actually see the displays you're looking at actually running.
If you're not into competitive gaming where every millisecond counts, I'd say IPS is the best option overall, a little slower but for me the better viewing angles and more stable colours outweigh that downside.
At 27" my 1920x1080 displays pixel size is a little coarse to give pin sharp gaming images, so either look for a 22-24" display at 1080 rez or increase the budget a bit and go for a 2560x1440 27".