PC Build Opinions (Gaming, maybe streaming)

TrickyJumbo3000

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
WARNING: Quite long

Hey guys,
I'm building a PC for gaming, with potentially a little streaming/video editing on the side. I've spent the last couple of months looking for good parts and think I've finally come to a semi-final decision as to which parts I want to purchase. I was hoping to get the opinion of someone a little more able with PCs than me to kind of evaluate what I have chosen.

Build list (All prices in NZ dollars, likely to be different now due to US supplier for many parts):
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - $499.95
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i - $121.09
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII HERO - $329.95
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR3 - $188.38
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 240GB - $132.19
HDD x2: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM - $74.00 Each
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 - $541.44
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Full Tower - $249.95
PSU: EVGA 750G2 750W - $223.90
Optical Drive: Generic Samsung - $20.17
Operating System: Windows 8.1 (OEM) - $134.59
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24' 1080p 144Hz - $370.04
Front Fan: NZXT FZ-200mm Red LED - $31.61
Top CPU Cooler Fans: Corsair SP120 High Performance PWM 120mm Twin Pack - $43.05
Bottom Fan: Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 120mm - $25.93
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX Brown - $169.54
Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Optical Gaming Mouse - $76.69
TOTAL: $3306.47 (Approx $2457.19 USD)
NOTE: Prices fluctuate.

I'm also getting other assorted items, such as a new mouse pad (old one's wearing out) but decided not to add them to the list for.... reasons....

Reasoning (Practically an essay):
CPU: I chose an i7-4790k as my CPU for a few reasons. One is that I want to overclock as much as I can, and with this CPU I'm only really limited by my mobo (not the strongest OC mobo, but a good one nonetheless). Also, I want it to last. Future-proofing is a theme that you'll see re-occurring a fair bit here, as I want my PC to last quite a while without going overkill.
CPU Cooler: I chose the Corsair H100i as although AIO liquid cooling is not as good as custom loops, I feel that it's a better option than an air cooler, especially considering I'm overclocking.
Motherboard: A little overkill, but looks badass. Can't remember other reasoning I had, but hey.
Memory: I chose 16GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro at 2400mHZ as although 16GB is a little overkill for gaming, I feel that I have the ability to upgrade further rather than be limited to 16GB total with two 2x4 dual channel kits.
SSD: Samsung's 850 EVO is great in terms of performance and not too pricey. I was planning for the 500GB model as I saw it on Amazon for $180 USD however I can no longer find that bargain so 240 it is.
HDD: I may have gone a little overkill here but I plan to run these two drives separately rather than in RAID 0 or 1. One drive will be for Steam/Origin/UPlay games that are not stored on the SSD, and the other drive is for mass storage of media etc.
GPU: I wanted a 900 series for the new Maxwell architecture (Does the 750 ti really count?) and the 970 seemed like the sweet spot between price and performance (a little cliche but hey). The G1 Gaming edition from Gigabyte seemed like the best option for me as it is an insane overclocker, and I could potentially reach clock speeds of around 1500MHz.
Case: The Phantom 530 from NZXT seems like a great choice as it has received great reviews and will be easy to build in. I might have to drop a bottom fan due to GPU length ruining my original HDD positioning plan, but it's not a worry.
PSU: I chose the 750G2 750W PSU from EVGA as it has received great reviews, especially from JohnnyGuru. It might be a little much, but it does give me the flexibility to install another 970 further down the track.
Optical Drive: It's an optical drive.
OS: Windows 8.1 is a better option for gaming IMO unlike shortly after it's release. It will be my first experience with this OS but I expect I will go well.
Monitor: This was a tough decision. I originally was planning to purchase to 60Hz Acer monitors for about half the price each, however decided that 144Hz was the way to go. This is what I decided on, the Asus VG248QE.
Fans: Plenty of third party front fan compatibility issues with the 530, so I decided on an NZXT model just to be safe. The positioning of the front door on the case blocks the top front fan should I choose to install 2 120mm of 140mm fans instead, so again, playing it safe. I just went with Corsair fans for everything else, trying to fit function to purpose. I could use Noctua fans for a little less noise however I find the colour scheme completely unappealing and looks are a big part of the interior for me.
Keyboard: I love the design of the corsair K70, and the RGB model was far too pricey for me so I went with the black with red LED model with Cherry MX Red switches (Red is a personal preference, mostly an FPS gaming rig.) I decided to have a black and red PC with black and red peripherals due to this (my Logitech g230s are already black and red to suit).
Mouse: The Deathadder is the only Razer product I've ever really liked (the other stuff is nice enough however). Many FPS gamers describe it as the best for the genre and that is a good thing for me as FPS is my main focus. The Chroma edition allows me to change the LED colour on the scroll wheel and the Razer logo, so I can adjust to suit the rest of my peripherals.

Future Purchases (much shorter):
External USB sound card: Creative Soundblaster Omni
Replacement Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud
External Mic: Blue Yeti w/ assorted pop filter/stand etc
Speakers: Some 5.1 speakers (probably Logitech's lower end ones, open to suggestions)

Feel free to comment on any parts that I have chosen and make any recommendations, noting however that I'm not willing to spend a lot more than has already been spent. This IS a discussion
not a question so there isn't really any wrong or right answer.

TrickyJumbo3000

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015

Kinda hooked on the Phantom 530, have looked at other options but yeah. As with the SSD, UserBenchmark shows the 850 EVO beating the 840 EVO in just about every way, for a lower price (to my remembrance).

Made some other changes, feel free to tell me what you guys think!