Can't connect 3rd montior to my GPU

babazinga

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
So I have a ASUS R9 280X that has 2 DVI ports, 1 HDMI port, and 1 Display port. Running windows 7. link to GPU

I got 3 ASUS monitors that have hdmi ports. link to monitor

To connect the three monitors to the GPU I am using:

• Monitor's HDMI to GPU's HDMI
    Monitor's HDMI to GPU's Display Port - using adapter link
    Monitor's HDMI to GPU's DVI - using adapter link

Things I noticed:

• When the third monitor is connected, on the screen resolution screen, I noticed that the computer does detect it but the multiple display option for the third monitor is always set to disconnect the display. When I try to extend the monitor display, I get the unable to save display settings message.
    The OS keeps trying to detect the monitor. All 3 monitors keep blinking (I guess it recognizes the device, just can't display it). They keep blinking until I turn off the 3rd monitor.

Any clue whats happening?

babazinga

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

I will try that out but I don't think it will matter really. I am able to use any 2 monitors, just cant connect to the third one. For example, I am able to connect the HDMI to DVI monitor and the HDMI to Displayport monitor perfectly fine. Just when I try to add in the third monitor (HDMI to HDMI) it would detect that I attached a new monitor in but its just unable to display anything.

babazinga

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
It worked when I ended up using a active hdmi to displayport adapter.

I am using:

Monitor's HDMI to GPU's HDMI
Monitor's HDMI to GPU's Display Port - using adapter (active display port, passive didn't work) link
Monitor's HDMI to GPU's DVI - using adapter