Migrating Win 7 from SATA HDD to SATA M2 SSD

zemlock

Reputable
May 21, 2014
Hey everyone tricky question here,

I've been having a lot of trouble over this last week trying to migrate my copy of windows to my new M.2 SSD. I've tried using EaseUS as a migration/cloning program and I am currently using AOMEI Partition Manager, so far with no luck.
So, when I finally migrate my system data to my SSD, disconnect my old System HDD, and reboot with the M2 SSD as my primary boot device I simply find myself at a blank screen. It seems that Windows is unable to boot from the M2. I have even tried using the windows repair disc to fix the boot files with no luck.
Now it is my understanding that the correct way to migrate your data to an SSD is to plug the SSD you are migrating to into the SATA port where your previous System HDD was plugged. Now most of you may know that the M2 SSD does not plug into a SATA port but it actually plugs directly into the motherboard in its own dedicated slot. So swapping system discs may be impossible.

So far I am running out of ideas of how to correct this problem and maybe someone with more experience booting windows and with boot devices and troubleshooting could give me a helping hand. I have already searched the web (and tomshardware) for some information about migrating to a M2 SSD with no luck. It seems it is rare to specifically migrate to a M2 rather than other types of SSD's, where there is plentiful information on migration to SSD.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

zemlock

Reputable
May 21, 2014
Thanks USAFRet but I have designated the M.2 drive as my first boot priority. I have also selected the M2 by pressing f12 on the bios load screen to choose my booting device directly. Neither has worked. I have gone so far as to use the repair disk and had the M2 labeled as my C drive or system drive and still it loads a blank screen with a blinking underscore I'm the top left corner where it should have the windows loading logo.

zemlock

Reputable
May 21, 2014
Okay I have solved the Issue... I was able to run AOMEI partition manager in a PRE-OS mode, which bypassed the booting of windows completely. I also chose to label my cloned System Drive on my SSD as nothing or "*". After this was completed I unplugged my old System Hard Drive and booted from the bios boot selector, selecting my M2... then once in windows I shutdown, plugged in my Old System HDD, booted directly for the M2 SSD, and changed the Drive Letter Path of my old System Hard Drive to something that would not confuse the windows system boot order. Everything is working great, I hope this helps...

and,
PS: Do not use EASEUS... Do not even install EASEUS... I have to revert to an old backup of windows, it was necessary to do a system restore as EASEUS installs itself but will not fully uninstall... I belive this is either horrible programming or actualy malware. Please beware.

Semyonov

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Chris, - did you post anywhere your entire migration process that was successful step-by-step?

I am looking to migrate an existing domain-joined Win 7 Ultimate partition from SATA SSD to NVMe M.2 SSD - and would be greatly appreciating any hints or SOPs you can point me to.