Setting Up a Surround Sound

I am considering setting up a surround sound system for gaming so I have speakers all around my room. Could someone give me just a general idea of the equipment I would have to purchase such as speakers, cables, and any necessary software, too?

Solution
if you wanted to branch out into hifi i'd recommend the energy take classic 5.1 ($300) + a 5.1 receiver ($100-200).

benefits over computer speakers?
-can use longer wires and route them through walls (normal speaker wire). the z906 will have them all on the floor if you wanted to put it in the corners if the cables are even long enough.
-improvement in sound quality over pc speakers
-if you get a decent receiver, its upgradeable to better speakers in the future.
-can use it easily with just about any source with a quick knob-turn to chance sources.

or, if you have a larger budget (or smaller) there are certainly other options available to you.

i personally use a 5.1 home theater system (though much more costly than what i recommended...
if you wanted to branch out into hifi i'd recommend the energy take classic 5.1 ($300) + a 5.1 receiver ($100-200).

benefits over computer speakers?
-can use longer wires and route them through walls (normal speaker wire). the z906 will have them all on the floor if you wanted to put it in the corners if the cables are even long enough.
-improvement in sound quality over pc speakers
-if you get a decent receiver, its upgradeable to better speakers in the future.
-can use it easily with just about any source with a quick knob-turn to chance sources.

or, if you have a larger budget (or smaller) there are certainly other options available to you.

i personally use a 5.1 home theater system (though much more costly than what i recommended above) and love it. a definite improvement over computer speakers for the money (though the logitechs arent bad for pc speakers). if you care to see the setup its in my build photos in signature link, info on what i use is in list when you hover over avatars.

given that you said "all around your room" i think a traditional home theater set is going to be much cleaner though this is your choice to make.

if you want some more in depth information i'd suggest giving us such info as country of origin, budget, what you need to use the speakers for, upgade plans, a general idea how you want to route wires/place speakers, etcetera.

edit: monoprice 10565 is basically the same thing as the energy system (just unbranded) for $120 less.

Solution
apparently 6ft for the fronts and 15ft for the rears.

could be a close call unless you decide you'd want to use them more as "side speakers" instead of "rears" in which case you'd be able to fit the wire in along the floor moulding fine likely.

Yeah I would have to make them side (since otherwise they'd be dragged across the room). I have a triple-layered desk. The first layer is my two monitors, the second and thrid are empty (well, bobble-heads right now). I am thinking of putting the front right and left and middle speakers on layer two, the subwoofer on layer 0 (the "basement" layer) but not sure about the rear yet.

Also, would I need a dedicated sound card at all?

if you went with the cheap z506? if your onboard supports 5.1 outputs then technically no though if after use you find that you hear crackling, buzzing, hissing or distortion then it might be worth investing in a cheap soundcard like the xonar dg.