Trying to connect 2 monitors to PC using 1 HDMI input and 1 DVI-1 input - can't figure out why HDMI input won't work

ksgaez

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I have had a dual monitor set-up with DVI1 for monitor 1 and VGA for monitor 2 on PC running Windows 7 64 bit and using Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 430 which has 3 monitor inputs: DVI-1, HDMI and VGA. I can't get either of the monitors to work with HDMI to HDMI and I can't understand why. The error message I receive is "no DVI cable" on either monitor. I thought maybe I had a bum HDMI cable so I purchased a new one, same problem. Made sure driver for graphics card is up to date, same thing. Either monitor displays with DVI-1 to DVI-1, and neither work with HDMI to HDMI, which leads me to think not a monitor or cable issue. Do I just have a bad HDMI port on my graphics card, or am I doing something else wrong? To make things even stranger, when I gave up and tried to go with mt previous setup of display 1 with DVI and display 2 with VGA - display 2 won't work now either. I rechecked with control panel display settings that it is set for 2 monitors to display desktop.

Update - Thanks to another post, which despite my earlier searches didn't come up, but I found after posting this, I changed the input type directly on monitor 1 (duh - forgot I could do that) from DVI to HDMI and it worked briefly, (although no go on monitor 2 with any input still), until I had to reboot, and then, monitor 1 would only say "HDMI" on the screen, nothing else. So I changed the cable on monitor 1 back to DVI-1 and input back to DVI, so at least I can work on one monitor, and tried using the HDMI on monitor 2 instead. That monitor won't let me access the inputs to select from any external button, so I only get the powered up splash on the monitor (stupid Gateway POS that it is). Ugh. Hopefully someone out there has an answer for me. Yes, it may be time to get a new monitor 2, fine, but why won't HDMI work on my Dell monitor, which I like?

Thanks in advance

Clzwldsconfusion

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Did you get it working?
When you get 1 monitor working switch out exactly the same config but change the monitor. That tells you that booth are working.
Go to the nvidia control panel to change the config for dual monitors.
Reply back if you need more info

TRENDING THREADS