LCD TV's instead of Monitors for gaming External view

Max258

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Hi,

I am planning to build cockpit around FSX. Setup will be like this.

- 4 screens will be used for external view using CPU with following configurations : Intel Core I7 + 16 GB Ram + Navidia gtx 970 (4 GB)

Now question is :

1) Can I use TV screens instead of monitor ? If I use TV screens does it matter that all 4 TV's should be of same company or same model / year build. I am planning to buy used TV so I won't find 4 TV screens (37 to 40 inch) of same company & build year.

2) In case if I collect different companies TV models e.g LG or Samsung with different year build and different models , would it effect the graphics display ? Or would it increase difficulty in setup ?

3)Any drawbacks of using TV's instead of monitors ?

Suggestions/knowledge around it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Max

Andrew Murdoch

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
This will go against the majority of people here, because lots of people don't like TV monitors.

I however use a pair of LG TVs, a 32" and 37" side by side. I used the same brand so they had the same colour temperature and most importantly the same white and black levels. Make sure you have proper inputs, I would recommend LG's as they have HDMI, DVI and VGA. The Game mode is also essential.

I also like them because I have 3 different available speaker systems due to the TV speakers.

Max258

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Thanks Andrew :)
I have heard about the lag time. That TV's has lag time compared to monitors. Have you noticed that in your setup ?
Which games do you play ? I intend to play Microsoft flight simulator.

So you recommend TV's should be of same model , right ?
What if they are of LG or Samsung but different models ?

Andrew Murdoch

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Mine are different models but very similar. One is the LG 37LH3010 and the other is the 32LD450 and both have the same white levels. Sometimes I open an explorer window and have it across both screens just to check the colour temps!

I play Starcraft 2/Wasteland 2 on the 32" at my desk and play everything else on my 37" (as I have a gamepad and a couch behind me). Everything else is Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, Bioshock Infinite etc

I notice no lag at all, the Game mode setting is very good. Its also great for watching movies if you have a blu-ray drive.

I actually have the 37" input going to a Sony AV Receiver, which also has my X1 plugged into it and an optical Toslink from my soundblaster. The Xbox has my tv plugged into it too. It allows me to have my tv, xbox, pc and spotify stereo all linked together in harmony.

I would very much like to see a picture of what you accomplish, it sounds like it will be very impressive!