AMD Mini ITX Build

zide

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about setting a budget mini ITX gaming build. I also thought about building an even cheaper AM3 (X6 1075T) mini ITX build, but I guess it's not that easy to find a future-proof board (usb3+sata3+1866ram). So, this is my current config:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 250X 1GB Video Card ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: RAIJINTEK Metis (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: CoolMax 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $425.89

I'm trying to get the best bang-for-the-buck mini ITX build.
What do you guys think? Do you think I can get it better for less money? What would you change?

jdcranke07

Honorable
Granted this may be the cheaper way to go, but if you want to future proof going Intel for miniITX might be more beneficial. Although this setup would last you at least a little bit. I would personally, swap the PSU for a more reputable one like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, or EVGA. And I would add an SSD as your boot up drive if you had the money for it. This would increase boot and read and write speeds like crazy.

Update: I agree with Bossyfins.

zide

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

Why is it a no no? Temps?

I see, I was also considering the Pentium 3258 path, in terms of upgradability... But it performs worse than the 860K and I do not plan to upgrade anytime soon... Buy ye, even though the i3+board would put me out of this budget, which i3 were you talking about?

Ye, about the PSU, this was the cheapest semi-modular I found, and I think that would be something interesting to have because of the cable management.

jdcranke07

Honorable

There are better fully modular PSUs for only a little bit more in cost. Your current selection is more of a fire hazard than a benefit.
Keep in mind that most PC parts are not really marked up like other things in the world. You more than likely get what you pay for.

zide

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

Ok, lets stretch this to a 500$ build. What's the best price/performance i3+mobo combo you suggest then?

Ye, I confess I didn't put much effort on the PSU choice! Tbh I've never heard about that CoolMax brand...

jdcranke07

Honorable

There's a reason for that.