Any way to convert single link DVI-D to dual link DVI-D?

kjohnston

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I have a monitor which accepts Dual-Link DVI-D ONLY. I have tried plugging in a single link DVI and get nothing but garbage. Is there any kind of converter: active or passive, that will let me display output from a single link DVI on this monitor? Here is the monitor: http://www.amazon.com/xstar-dp2710-led-27-2560x1440-qhd-samsung-pls-ls-ips-panel-glossy-screen-dvidual-pc-monitor-perfect-pixel/dp/B00CI2EJAU/

Update: I have a PS3 that I want to connect. It has HDMI output - and I can convert HDMI to DVI-D Single Link. But when I plug the single link DVI into the monitor it is garbage.

Solution
PS3 = HDMI 1.3 = DVI-D (Single Link). HDMI 1.3 cannot do 2560x1440 resolution or DVI-D (Dual Link). You're out of luck on this.

The source of the video output on the PS3 is HDMI 1.3 so even if you were to find a DVI-D (Single Link) to DVI-D (Dual Link) adapter, which doesn't exist.... it still wouldn't work.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
PS3 = HDMI 1.3 = DVI-D (Single Link). HDMI 1.3 cannot do 2560x1440 resolution or DVI-D (Dual Link). You're out of luck on this.

The source of the video output on the PS3 is HDMI 1.3 so even if you were to find a DVI-D (Single Link) to DVI-D (Dual Link) adapter, which doesn't exist.... it still wouldn't work.

Solution

joevt1

Reputable
Apr 19, 2016
I don't think anyone makes a Single Link to Dual Link adapter (that doesn't just pass the single link signal) but there is a way:

HDMI 1.3 is single link 340 MHz which should easily handle 2560x1440@60Hz. To convert to dual link, you need a HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort adapter, and a DisplayPort to DVI dual link adapter. Both adapters require USB power. If the adapters don't have a USB connector then you probably bought the wrong adapter.

I don't know what resolutions the PS3 supports, and I don't know if the PS3 can successfully output a signal through both adapters. macOS had problems. Ubuntu worked better. I forget how Windows handled it. I only had a 2560x1600 Apple 30" Cinema Display to test which only supports two frequencies (the other is 1280x800 for single link support).

Now I wonder if there's a solution for Dual Link to Single Link conversion where Dual Link is 165 MHz x 2, and Single Link is 330 MHz?
Update: I found the Gefen Dual Link DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort Converter GTV-DVIDL-2-MDP which can convert from Dual Link.