Am I doing this right? GPU to dual monitor connections

Nathan0918

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
So i have just completed my first build and everything works wonderfully!
I am wondering if I am using the GTX 970 the correct way for my setup.
I have 1 true monitor and my 2nd is a tv. I play ps4 on my monitor as well as pc games. The problem is that it only accepts 1 hdmi and 1 vga. The graphics card doesnt have a vga slot only dvi, so this is how i am connected.
GPU to TV through hdmi
On board vga to monitor through vga obviously
and ps4 to monitor through hdmi.
I use the TV for web browsing and netflix at night, while the monitor is for gaming, so i wanted to make sure the graphics card is still working on the monitor too.
If that all makes sense.

Solution
Hello... If you are using the MB VGA for any connection, then the CPU/IGT/GPU is being used... not your GTX 970.
Your gonna need a video switcher between for your ( DVI ) GPU and ( HDMI ) PS4, to your ( HDMI ) Monitor, For all that Power and eye candy you are missing, using the MB/CPU VGA connector.
Hello... If you are using the MB VGA for any connection, then the CPU/IGT/GPU is being used... not your GTX 970.
Your gonna need a video switcher between for your ( DVI ) GPU and ( HDMI ) PS4, to your ( HDMI ) Monitor, For all that Power and eye candy you are missing, using the MB/CPU VGA connector.

Solution

Nathan0918

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
Okay, that makes sense and is what I thought was happening. Now if I buy a DVI-D to VGA connector and use it, will that work or will I encounter problems?
Also is that safe to do?
Or should I just buy an extra HDMI and switch them out when I want to play ps4?

Hello... Modern Video cards are not including a VGA ( analog ) output pins or chips any more... it is a thing of the Past now... and that is GOOD.
You have digital data and the Output should stay digital data, and thus your card has DIGITAL connectors HDMI and DVI... HDMI connector will also allow audio output pins.

A DVI to HDMI adaptor will work, and manually changing the PS4 connection for use, but no sound will be available, as I suspect this is is not a problem now? ( seperate sound system ).
A video switcher between for your ( DVI ) GPU and ( HDMI ) PS4, to your ( HDMI ) Monitor could be purchased if you do not want to manually connect the monitor each time.

Nathan0918

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015

Thanks for the quick replies! Very helpful