Potential new high-end gaming rig. Thoughts?

DeadpoolVII

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
So my current build was made back in 2012 and it's getting a little dated. Would really like to build a nice rig that'll last through this new generation of consoles/immense graphics. Here's what I'm looking at:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27582066

I don't need hard drives/case as I'm keeping what I've got. Looking to have this build run for the next 4-5 years, and going to SLI the 980 within the next 4-5 months.

Thanks!

EnvyForMe

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Its a great build. I'd recommend lowering the cost of the card and upgrading to an I7 or so. Thats just coming from me. Theres people on here though that would know that stuff much better.

DeadpoolVII

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

Actually, I appreciate the feedback and questions. I'm currently running two 1920X1080 24" monitors, but plan on getting a third when I build this thing. Makes a bit of sense to grab the 970 and save a little money since I'm going to SLI anyway. Also, the i7 sounds good since I'm feeling the sting of my current performance boundary with an i5. Thanks for your input on this. Might post an updated build.

DeadpoolVII

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
Okay, updated my build some. Here's what I changed:

Removed the i5 in place of the i7 4790k. Figure this will run longer and harder than an i5 and not much more money.
Removed the 980 in place of double 970's based on Tea Urchin's recommendation.

Thoughts?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree with that choice and I'd also lose the H50 and go with a Noctua D15 or a Phanteks TC-14PE, both are better coolers.

kwa-e

Admirable
Your build is fine, but here's how I would personally do it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($394.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 4GB AMP! Omega Edition Video Card ($549.00 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1392.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 01:55 EDT-0400

Managed to fit a 5820K in there but it only has 8GB's of ddr4, which is really only how much you will need when gaming.

Judging by your budget, I also chose a 980 so you can fit 2 more of those when you feel like it, but 970's in SLI will be more cost effective, and will perform better.

kwa-e

Admirable
You guys have a point, but I personally think something "overkill" and "unnecessary" today might be something that's not so over the top in the future, technology is always moving and nothing is future-proof, and having those extra 2 cores may not be necessary today but it is possible that it may be useful in the future.

Anyway, I've had 2 cups (too much?) of coffee and only 4 hours of sleep and I do not think I am fit enough to be debating over this topic.

If you want to save ~200 bucks and get an i5 which is more than adequate for today, and may even last you a long while, you have my support.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 4GB AMP! Omega Edition Video Card ($549.00 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($136.75 @ Amazon)
Total: $1185.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 03:05 EDT-0400

kwa-e

Admirable
The 5820 Isn't actually any more expensive than the 4790

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $534.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 03:16 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($394.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $589.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 03:18 EDT-0400

DDR4 might be expensive now, But when DDR4 matures and prices lower. The price of DDR3 might increase just like DDR2, due to the stopped production and high demand due to people wanting to get as much ram as they can get before it becomes obsolete.

And you can just disable HT on the 5820 to get an overpowered i5 with 2 extra cores and enable it when the 12 threads of the CPU are fully supported and optimized for?.

(Make sure you get low profile RAM for the Phanteks cooler regardless of the build though, RAM space is tiiiight)

I still don't understand how HT will interfere with anything

Ahh I see. What wondering haha. I never really heard of HT being a problem in a negative way. The i3 takes edge on the G3258 due to the i3's hyperthreading, so I never really thought it would ever be considered as a bad thing.

DeadpoolVII

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
Wow, so yeah this has gone pretty far off the tracks into territory I don't know. I've never OC'd a processor before... Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate all the discussion, but I'm a bit lost now o_O

Basically, I'm trying to get myself into a situation where my system will handle itself for quite some time, maybe 4-5-6 years before needing to really upgrade again. With the fact in mind that tech is always changing, does the build I have up at the top look good to sink the funds into? I'm seeing a lot of clashing here, in a good way, and most of it seems to be processor talk. In my opinion, I think an i7 might be the better route because over time, I may require the extra umph it provides and I might be sour down the road that I didn't get myself into a newer generation.

Basically, I'm looking to spend less than $1500 and get myself into a great system for gaming (Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, GTA, etc.). With that in mind, what would you change on the build?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the time.

Okay yeah 4-6 years is going to take some serious horsepower. And I suggest not getting the Mark 2. It is completely over priced.

My personal choice for that time period:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($133.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.49 @ Directron)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1317.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 18:13 EDT-0400

You will need a GPU upgrade in about 2-3 years. Whether it be SLI or just a better card overall.

DeadpoolVII

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

Yeah, I plan on SLI'ing the 970's within the first 4-5 months to really peak on power and keep it up to date. The only change from that is that I want to go liquid cooled this run. Never had it before and I've heard nothing but good things. As for storage, I'm set there. Have 3 HD's right now.

If you would like to liquid cool then you will need a cooler above $100 to get near the performance of an air cooler at $75. But if you want to completely for the looks then the H50 will be adequate for stock clocks. Don't plan on OCing with it. The H100i is quite loud but it has a good value so you can always look intovthat

kwa-e

Admirable
Sorry for the absence, but with the lack of a (working) internet connection I couldn't really log on until now.

A reviewer of the 5820K reported that their engineering samples can reach 4.4 at 1.275V, any voltage higher than that and the processor will hit the high 70C's with the H100

Anyway, you're right that the 5820K won't be of much use in gaming right now, and even once the rest of the market jumps to the 6-8 core CPU's the Haswell-E has will be obsolete by time time it is usable.

MasterDell's build is solid, however I wouldn't recommend going with the Extreme4 as many people have reported that it has problems POSTing. (Search "Possible Reocurring Problems with the asrock Extreme4", and click the first Reddit result that comes on)

While MSI has a bad rap due to their history with bad Quality control and costumer service they have recently stepped up their game as of the Haswell generation. RMA rates have dropped to levels similar to ASUS and GigaByte and the their costumer service is better than ever compared to before.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/2014-motherboard-rma-rate-new-update-from-hardware-fr.207128/

The Gaming 5 Isn't a bad option and is something you may want to consider.

kwa-e

Admirable
Sorry for the absence, but with the lack of a (working) internet connection I couldn't really log on until now.

A reviewer of the 5820K reported that their engineering samples can reach 4.4 at 1.275V, any voltage higher than that and the processor will hit the high 70C's with the H100

Anyway, you're right that the 5820K won't be of much use in gaming right now, and even once the rest of the market jumps to the 6-8 core CPU's the Haswell-E has will be obsolete by time time it is usable.

MasterDell's build is solid, however I wouldn't recommend going with the Extreme4 as many people have reported that it has problems POSTing. (Search "Possible Reocurring Problems with the asrock Extreme4", and click the first Reddit result that comes on)

While MSI has a bad rap due to their history with bad Quality control and costumer service they have recently stepped up their game as of the Haswell generation. RMA rates have dropped to levels similar to ASUS and GigaByte and the their costumer service is better than ever compared to before.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/2014-motherboard-rma-rate-new-update-from-hardware-fr.207128/

The Gaming 5 Isn't a bad option and is something you may want to consider.

g-unit1111

Titan

I have that motherboard and it's great for the price I paid for it, have my 4690K running at 4.0 GHz very stably with no issues.

So here's what I'm looking at as my final build. What do you guys think?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wZGY7P

Lose the H80i and get a Noctua D15 instead - it will be a much better investment in the long run, otherwise I say go for it.

DeadpoolVII

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
Lose the H80i and get a Noctua D15 instead - it will be a much better investment in the long run, otherwise I say go for it.

Is it really an issue? I'd really like to go liquid cooling and I saw some photos of this thing; it looks pretty slick. I mean, if the Noctua is going to perform like 50% better, then I guess I'll go that route.

DeadpoolVII

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

I'm actually going to be running 3 monitors. I just can't see the 980's in sli being THAT much more effective at running three monitors. The benchmarks on the 980 are barely better, and to me, it doesn't seem worth the $1200 to get two of those when I can get two Windforce superclocked 970's for $700.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'd look into it a bit more carefully - closed liquid coolers like the Corsair H series, and the NZXT Kraken's can have lots of issues with them such as defective pumps or radiators. Air is always safer than water, but if you want to go that route, I won't stop you. But definitely research before buying.