4k Gaming with GTX 690 - Do I need to upgrade now?

Crash55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
My Korean monitor just died so I grabbed a Dell P2715Q 4k monitor. My current video card is a GTX690. I was planning on building a new rig next year when the next iteration of chips from nVidia and Intel arrive.

For now it looks like my choices are:

1. Keep my single GTX690
2. Add a second GTX690
3. Get two 980's in SLI
4. Get a Titan X

Adding a second GTX690 (~$300) is within my budget but I really don't want to drop $1k plus on video cards at present. Will a second GTX690 do me any good or should I just play at lower res / settings until I build a new rig next year?

Crash55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
OK. Thanks. I haven't paid any attention to video cards since I built my current rig in 2012 so I didn't realize the VRAM bottleneck would be such an issue.

I think I will just plod along at lower res / settings for a while then. Just had to buy my daughter a car and have to deal with college tuition for her this fall so better uses for $1k then video cards at present.

How are you doing now?
I doubt that vram is an issue.
I see little use playing civ 4 and 5. @60fps with a GTX780.
Monitor ram usage with gpu-Z or such.

FPS does not scale well with a third gpu, and worse with a fourth. A second GTX690 does not seem like a good idea to me. Do you have the requisite 950w psu?
If you play fast action games, particularly those that do not scale well with multiple cards, then a change is in order. Slower strategy games may be ok at 4k. Test your games and see.

I am not going to pay $1000 for a card. I am waiting for a more reasonable GTX980ti or such.

Crash55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
I have a 1150W power supply.

I have been playing most games just fine though I would like a few more FPS. I am also starting to see a few flickers across the screen which I think is due to the cheap cable Dell provided.

I am trying to decide whether to go with two GTX 970's or wait and try a GTX 980Ti when it comes out.