Upgrading from win7 32bit to win10 64bit all I need to know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

darian2hunter

Honorable
Feb 24, 2015
So I bought my pc a few weeks ago (Fx 4100, 4Gb RAM)...I am going to upgrade the GPU soon to a Gtx 970 Strix, but I only have a 32bit OS or i would of Upgraded to 8Gb RAM by now. My problem is I have NO experience of installing a new OS. Will it just be able to download and i just click next a few times like a regular install? Also all of the programmes i already have on my pc what will happen to them? If you could give me all the help you could that would be great!

Solution
32bit to 64bit is a full reinstall. All of your current applications, data, etc will be gone.

[strike]What type of installation media do you have?[/strike]
Going from Win 7 32bit to Win 10 64bit?

Total reinstall.
No one can tell you how the install is going to go because no one knows anything.

It could be as easy as click a couple buttons and you're off to the races, but no one knows for sure since Microsoft hasn't released any information other than who it's available to and a general release timeframe.

USAFRet

Titan

Are you really, really sure you want to wipe out your current Win 7 install in favor of a beta Windows 10?
This may not allow you to upgrade to actual Windows 10 for free when it is released later this year.

USAFRet

Titan

Ah, OK.
In any case, 32bit to 64bit is a full reinstall. You have to save all of your personal data, and any application install files elsewhere and offline. They will not survive through the install process.

Exactly how this will happen? Not fully known yet.

darian2hunter

Honorable
Feb 24, 2015
All i would do is put all my pictures and music onto a USB (I have allot) but then just wipe everything else and just reinstall later because i don't have that much stuff anyway...Also do you know exactly what will happen with my steam games? Are my saves on the cloud and can i definitely re download if i wipe the HDD? Thanks so much for your help i really appreciate it!

thegummy

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

If your USB drive is big enough you can copy your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps folder over to it then, when you install your new OS and re-install Steam again, copy the files back over into that same folder and you won't even have to re-download them again

pjg

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012

yes but you will have to do all the short cuts your sleft

Dinos992

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
Also, if you don't have much space, I suggest uploading any important files, like pictures that you have in the cloud. You can do that by making a Google Drive account (provided by google) or a One Drive account (provided by microsoft) which I find very helpful. They both start you with 15GB of storage which you can access from anywhere, just from logging in your google/microsoft account, choose whatever you want, they are both great.

Status
Not open for further replies.