Did I need a dedicated graphics card? (Completed build for Video and Photo editing)

Long time reader, first time poster.

I just completed my first PC build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H7WZD3

Did I need that separate graphics card at all? I do no gaming, the PC was built for video editing and photo editing for my photography/videography business (importing/manipulating 4,000 photos/short videos at a single time using Lightroom/Photoshop, each photo 25mb, and also editing 4 hour videos)

Or, could I just utilize the built-in HDMI and DVI outputs in my MSI Gaming 5 motherboard?

The reason I ask, is because I'm trying to make my machine as quiet as possible. And by far the video card is the loudest thing in the case, then the HDD, then the machine is virtually quiet. The machine isn't "loud", but it's definitely audible
5 answers Last reply
More about dedicated graphics card completed build video photo editing
  1. You made the right decision, being that you are driving a resolution like that (3840 x 1080). Windows (or linux or whatever) would of been stressed, and if you were doing a little bit of light gaming, integrated graphics would not cut it. Good job.
  2. Not too shabby for a first attempt. ;)
    Are you sure it's the video card and not the CPU cooler? At least when it's idle that card should be virtually silent but the stock Intel cooler is known to be noisy under load.
    There is sound deadening kits available which are useful.
  3. hoodedninja22 said:
    You made the right decision, being that you are driving a resolution like that (3840 x 1080). Windows (or linux or whatever) would of been stressed, and if you were doing a little bit of light gaming, integrated graphics would not cut it. Good job.

Actually I was hoping to hear I didn't need it :) I was hoping the 16GB RAM and the Intel i5-4690k would be sufficient. I will not be doing any gaming at all... When you say "stressed", are there long term impacts on that? Or would the resolution be worse or something else?

Anonymous said:
    Not too shabby for a first attempt. ;)
    Are you sure it's the video card and not the CPU cooler? At least when it's idle that card should be virtually silent but the stock Intel cooler is known to be noisy under load.
    There is sound deadening kits available which are useful.

I opened my case and removed the graphics card, then booted it up without the graphics card. The computer was virtually quiet, except for the HDD. I replaced the graphics card, booted it up again, the noise was back. The intel cooler was pretty darn quiet.

It'd be *great* if I could sell my graphics card, use the integrated HDMI and DVI ports in my mobo, use that money to replace my HDD to get a (smaller) SSD, and then the machine would be *really* quiet.
  4. Like most professional software Photoshop benefits greatly from having a dedicated video card: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161/
  5. pc4phil said:
    Actually I was hoping to hear I didn't need it :) I was hoping the 16GB RAM and the Intel i5-4690k would be sufficient. I will not be doing any gaming at all... When you say "stressed", are there long term impacts on that? Or would the resolution be worse or something else?

It wouldn't be that bad in the long run, but when your processor is using most of its power, the graphics will throttle back to have the normal processing cores run faster. This would cause a laggy UI, which is what I meant when Windows would be "stressed"
Ask a new question

Read More

Photo Video Build Graphics Cards Graphics