Viewsonic monitor loses signal right before Windows logon screen

masterpeter1992

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
Hi, I bought this Viewsonic monitor model VX2753MH, used.

It only has a VGA input and 2 HDMI inputs, so I'm using a DVI to HDMI adapter on my video card and a standard HDMI cable from the adapter to the monitor, it works fine, looks great, the problem is when I reboot the system, I can watch the Intel BIOS screen, I get to see the Windows logo dancing but when it's time for the login screen to appear it goes black and says "No signal" and the LED indicator turns yellow, if I input my password (without seeing the screen) I can hear the login sound.

I can fix this taking the power cable off and pluggin it back in, or just taking the HDMI cable out, waiting 5 seconds and putting it back in, then the signal comes back. It does not work if I just hit the power button off/on.

I've tried a different HDMI cable, the 2nd video card port (worst), playing with the BIOS settings, uninstalling drivers on Safe mode and installing the latest nvidia drivers (341.44), tried some drivers the Viewsonic website offers. Nothing works

I also used another Olevia TV/Monitor I have and I can reboot fine it never loses the signal permanently like the Viewsonic. And if I connect the Viewsonic through VGA cable (using a DVI to VGA adapter), this problem doesn't happen. But I want to use HDMI.

What can I do?, anyone had this problem?

My system is:

Mobo: Intel D945Gnt
Intel Pentium D 940 3.2 Ghz
3 Gb RAM
Geforce 9800 GTX+ Plus
Power Supply OCZ ZT550 550 Watts
Hard drive 1x Western Digital 320 Gb WD3200AAKS
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

Solution
can be the adaptor blocking the signal needed to turn the monitor on. or the video card dvi port is having an issue.
what i would do is rule out any bios bug make sure the mb bios is up to date. see if there any firmware update for the monitor. on newegg or amazon try buying a true dvi to hdim cable. a lot of there cables will have free or low cost shipping for one cable.
can be the adaptor blocking the signal needed to turn the monitor on. or the video card dvi port is having an issue.
what i would do is rule out any bios bug make sure the mb bios is up to date. see if there any firmware update for the monitor. on newegg or amazon try buying a true dvi to hdim cable. a lot of there cables will have free or low cost shipping for one cable.

Solution

masterpeter1992

Distinguished
May 17, 2012

Thank you for your prompt reply. The BIOS is up to date, I think I updated it a few months ago for another problem I had, I even set some priorities in the BIOS that said something like boot from PCIe or PEG.

All I can find of the monitor are these "Standard monitor driver signed" here in the download section: http://www.viewsonic.com/us/product-archive/monitors/vx2753mh-led.html

I installed that and did nothing.

I don't think there is nothing wrong with the card because my old CRT monitor works fine and my other LCD TV also works fine. It did ocurred to me the adapter may be the problem, I'll do that and order a whole cable.

In the meantime I downloaded Driversweeper, and will try to tinker with the drivers, I also am trying to play with the windows settings so it doesn't install its own drivers, I found a setting in gpedit.msc

masterpeter1992

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
I got the cable (DVI to HDMI), and removed the adapter. It works excellent. The problem was the cheap adapter I had. Even another monitor that never worked with my PC, with the cable it works perfect.