Loading games makes my monitor turn off instantly and not work until i reboot my PC.

tomvla

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Hi, A couple of days ago i started having this problem. As soon as i load games such as wow... or play league of legends for 10+ minutes on a high graphical setting, my monitor shuts off and says 'No Signal' until i restart my PC. And as soon as i run a GPU stress test it does exactly the same thing... (I've ran CPU stress tests and it seems fine so i'm pretty sure it's my gpu.) I also have a power supply i bought recently which has more than enough wattage to handle my rig.
I have no idea what caused it / how to fix it...

GPU= MSI GTX 970
CPU= Intel Core i5-4690K 3.50GHZ
PSU= Corsair RM650

Things i've tried are;
-uninstalling/re installing drivers
-cleaning dust from the cpu and gpu
-Running my pc on it's onboard graphics and seemed to work fine, but as soon as i put the card back in it started saying no signal again.
-changing monitor display options

Any help please? :(

tomvla

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

No i don't sadly

Neur0nauT

Admirable

Some people have had similar issues, see this other forum post HERE

It's been suggested that it could be a faulty card, although some are also suggesting it is to do with new drivers and maybe using the display port.

If your GPU was an upgrade, did you reformat the system when it was installed? If not, I would advise that to be your next course of action.

Good luck.

diru

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I could be completely wrong here, but my immediate suspicion is that the game you are running has resolution settings that your display cannot handle. are you sure the display is turning OFF, or merely going inactive/power saving mode, such as when you turn the pc off? Can you run a different game with similar results?